Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Datman

RSView as OPC Server?

8 posts in this topic

This may be a dumb question... We a client with a computer which is running RSView Machine Edition to talk to a PLC.. Im guessing this is using RSLinx Enterprise... I have an application in Visual Basic 6.0, can i make this retrieve data from the RSView application using OPC... VB6 can use the RSOPCAuto.dll (whatever its called..) to acheive OPC comms via RSLinx in our normal applications, but I have never tried getting data from RSView. Is this at all possible in any form? Or would i need to buy RSLinx to put on the PC and talk to the PLC directly via OPC.

I don't believe that Machine Edition (ME) can act as an OPC server. Supervisory Edition/Site Edition (SE) and RSView32 can. Remember, the only thing that Rockwell left out of machine edition is everything you need.

RSLinxEnterprise was developed for RSViewME applications and does not support being an OPC Server. You will have to add RSLinxGateway to make this happen. You may want to look at a 3rd party OPC server, such as KEPWare. Thread on RSLinxEnterprise, RSLinx, and RSLinxGateway... http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=8558

thanks guys, just as i thought. we have a CD for KEPServer Enterprise. Looks like it came with RSView32 or something, which we used on a different job. Would this do the job? Ive installed it and had a quick look, but cant quite get my head around it.

RSLinx Enterprise can be an OPC server....if you have the correct license. Unlicensed, it only provides data to RSView. In fact, for large tag counts (10k or more), I've had Rockwell tell me that RSLinx Classic won't work and to use Enterprise.

Well I finally managed to wrangle the boss into spending some money. now have a VB6 Active X that communicates directly over ethernet using Allen Bradley protocol. Makes life a lot easier and cheaper for us, not having to buy an OPC server for each job. Has a few down sides but pleased with the results so far from an ease of code point of view

Which company did you get the control from? I'll need something similar for a future project but for .NET.

try this: http://www.blftech.com/drivers.htm not sure about .net but i imagine they work with this. The only downside is that it seems you cannot write bitwise to an integer with a micrologix. other than that it seems to work fine.