Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daveinarmstrong

GX Developer & FX2N com problems

17 posts in this topic

I was getting intermittent com port errors using the SC09 cable "an unusable com port has been selected!" until the cable finally stopped working. I had a spare and it was giving me th same error. I purchased an aftermarket cable the "Mitsubishi - USB SC09-FX" through ELSTON SYSTEMS INC./Mr PLC and it has worked fine for a month, but now i'm getting the same error "an unusable com port has been selected!". While i'm connected to the PLC in monitor mode. Should i be buying a network module for this FX2n and uploading, monitoring program with this? Using Windows Vista with Toshiba laptop. MY winxp laptop finaly broke. Did not have GX Developer when i used this xp computer. Dave.

comm issues are certainly frustrating. the problem could be noise, software issue or hardware issue (loose connection inside plc, in the cable or in the pc). you could for example have tried using different com port (USB to RS232 adapter) to rule out loose connection on pc side. using different cable should rule out cable problem. what software did you use? medoc? now you use gx dev?

If your using Vista. Did you install the vista patch??

Maybe noise, as i have used the Mitsubishi cable with serial adapter on my Laptop. This is my first time with Mitsubishi PLC. 1yr Automation Direct before that. Vista patch? Do you mean the Microsoft Service pack? or is there a Mitsubishi specific patch for Vista?

USB to serial adapters suck. If you don't have a real COM port, use the FX-USB-AW cable from Mitsubishi. As for Vista, it was supported in GX Developer newer than 8.62. If yours is older, get an upgrade.

I just noticed on the MEAU site that the GX Dev FX version does not support Vista, but full GX Dev does. I'll have to wait till next year for more cash flow

I mean the easysocket vista patch sorry can't upload the software it's 17MB which is more than the global limit Edited by Gambit

I have GX Developer 8.55H which is some 8 months or so old. I would like to upgrade but it's not showing up in Download section and I have to look for the account info (ooops ).

MEAU.com does not offer upgrade downloads. If your software was registered via register.meau.com, then you get the new versions when released for the first year. After that, you pay for a maintenance agreement or buy new. GX Developer-FX v8.78 is being released now. That's the current version for full GX Developer too.

I've put the patch on my works FTP server. It will be avaliable for 31 days. http://filetrans.koningenhartman.com//defa...ssword=TXl7jj7t

I'm not able to get this patch from you. It says "the connection with the server was reset" after downloading 71% of the file. I tried 3 times with 2 different internet suppliers. Is it available elsewere? Edited by Daveinarmstrong

Just checked if i could download myself. No problems. Your Mitsubishi supplier should have it. If you have a FTP server or Email adrress I'll try and upoad it or send it via a gmail account. Edited by Gambit

daveinarmstrong@gmail.com no ftp server at this time.

"an unusable com port has been selected!". Have you checked to make sure that no other software is grabbing the com port first without your knowledge and approval? That phrase will be used when something else has grabbed the serial port and won't let the Mitsubishi software access it. If you have Allen Bradley's RS Linx on your PC, then there's a very high chance that it's loading itself at startup and grabbing every port on the PC for it's own use .... after all, why would anyone want to use anything other than AB's software I had to load up various Allen Bradley software packages for a customer a while ago, and it got so bad at grabbing everything, that I decided to do it all using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (which is now free and works in XP) to set up a virtual system where all the AB products are installed. This means that my laptop's host operating system stays lean and mean for the Mitsubishi software and RS Linx only operates in it's own virtual drive. It causes lots of problems that software ........ bit naughty really.

ok, let's see if another take on this can help. he mentioned intermittent problems. "an unusable com port has been selected!" does indicate problem on the pc side, not the cable or PLC (sorry my bad). it could be user error selecting wrong com port, it could be port snatched by another application, but it could also be driver issue. some applications install their own driver which replaces original (like RSLinx when using PIC interface). if this is not resolved yet, i suggest testing that port. first take a look under Device Manager, Ports. see what com ports are installed (is it Com1, Com5 or whatever). you could use even hyper terminal for example and crossover cable (to another com port, which could be on same another PC). just setup same port settings on both ends (both hyper terminals) and type something to see if it really works. this will rulle out any hardware damage or some other application using the port. if the hardware and driver are ok, check port settings (Transfer->Online in your GX developer). Click on "PLC direct coupled setting" and accept change. this will reset connection setup to defaults. now try "Connection Test" to see if it works. note the com port number (PC side I/F), if it is not showing correct COM port of your PC, click on the yellow Serial icon and change the port and then try the "Connection Test" again. i've seen instances (fortunately very rare) where application got stuck because of loose programming cable and/or timing issues with USB converter (only to be used in emergencies). after closing and restarting application, no connection could be made because thread that belonged to previous instance of the application was still running and monopolizing com port. this required reboot. if the cause was RSLinx, it is easily resolved by turning off "run as service" option on it's start panel. also in the RSLinx driver setup choose manual or on demand startup instead of automatic. at least RSlinx has options to turn off the monopolizing ports. i remember using ActiveSync a while ago (it is a MicroSoft product) to update firmware on AB HMI and this was one bad piece of software. it didn't have option to stop using com port, no uninstal etc. had to remove it manually.

I have the "cable error", can not communicate with FX2N PLC using Windows XP laptop using SC09 cable. Replaced 2 new SC09 cables, but the problem still there. Using the same laptop, PLC with the "home-made" cable (DB9 direct connect to 8 pins DIN) and everything works fine!!! Now I am "dead" if I need to connect the laptop to A series PLC. Seem to be the com port problem, but some how it works with the "home-made" cable. Very confusing???

not sure what home made cable we you have but it's clear that RS232 port on your PC is ok. SC-09 cable need 5V to operate. You may have bad adapter on SC-09 (DB25 to mini din) or maybe the PLC port is not ok (maybe 5V or 0V is not present or connector was corroded or abused so pins are not making proper contact).