Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

YouTube Videos - PLC Boot Camp material

10 posts in this topic

Greetings to all ... so many people have asked for this over the years, that I’ve finally put together a set of YouTube videos covering the basics of PLCs ... well, actually another forum member, Archie Jacobs, did most of the hard work – I just provided the material ... anyway, we’ve posted the results at: http://www.youtube.com/user/RonBeaufort if you’ve got some spare time, please look these over and let me know what you think ... there are 11 lessons in all – for about 95 minutes of total run time ... the main thing that I’m interested in right now is some feedback on how well I did meeting the following objectives ... (1) something basic enough that beginners could follow - and learn from ... (2) deep enough that experienced technicians would find interesting - and educational ... (3) show some of the differences between my PLC training classes – and what my competitors do ... (and thereby generate business) ... this project hasn’t been easy – and I don’t know how Archie has found the patience to put up with me ... but frankly I’m excited to have it finally posted and available ... I’ve also posted the links on the Sample Lessons page of my website ... if you’re as new to looking at YouTube videos as I am, it might be easier to follow the links from there ... (note: the videos should be watched in order – since each one builds on the previous ones) ... your comments are always welcome ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

I just got finished watching all the videos. Ron, I think you did an excellent job at showing why your training is much more effective than other companies. Everyone, even you veterans, should take the time to watch these videos. It is not that Ron knows some insider secret into how PLCs work. Even when he stumps you, after wards when you think about it you will say "I knew that". Ron's method introduces you to a whole new way of thinking that makes you follow it step by step just as a PLC does. Lesson 10 and 11 were probably my favorites. I admit, you got me on the seal in at the end of lesson 10. When you walk through it, the correct solution is very clear. My solution is to scorn the use of duplicate OTEs and OTL/OTUs. While I stand behind not using them in programming, I must also face that we do run into them. Simply scorning them without understanding them is not very wise on my part either. Job well done Ron!

I have not had a chance to view them all, but I echo TW's comments. One thing I would do is dump Archie and use a sexy female voice. Ear candy. It looks like someone has already used some of the videos, see thread below yours. Edited by Mickey

Right you are Mickey! I have been following Ron and keeping up with his site for a couple years now. I linked to those vids as soon as I saw them available. Most of our content is done in house, but when we find good accurate info on youtube we definately include it. If Ron gets some business from it I'm all for it! Russell

Greetings TWControls ... regarding your kind comments ... thank you for the kind compliments – and for the links ... I’m still quite new to this YouTube business, so please forgive me for not answering your comment over on the “channel” yet ... to be honest, Archie was good enough to set all of that up for me, so I’m not exactly sure how to “log in” just yet – but I do appreciate your posting ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

I got a tip earlier this morning from one of our members that might help out some of our other readers ... seems he wasn’t able to view the videos at work – due to his company’s IT department disabling any connections to YouTube ... he WAS, however, able to run the “embedded” version of Lesson #1 that appeared on the “Sample Lessons” page of my website ... I’ve now reworked the links so that ALL of the lessons (not just the first one) are now embedded – each one on a separate webpage ... anyway, this might provide a “workaround” if you haven’t been able to link to YouTube and view the lessons yourself ... if anyone else notices “issues” like this, please bring them to my attention ... naturally our intention is to make these lessons as easily available to everyone as possible ... along these same lines ... once in awhile a video might “skip” just a little ... that’s YouTube messing up – not Archie ... if this happens on your system, try pulling the “slider button” back just a fraction of an inch – and let the video run through the “skipped” part again ... usually it works perfectly after that ... (thanks to Jeff for the tip) ...

Ron, Thanks for the link to your video's. I started watching your first video and found that I could not stop until I went through all of them. It was like being in your class again. I was answering the questions before you gave them. I surely hope there are more to come. I'm hoping to take your Control Logix class. I watched some of the other video’s after watching yours and they are no where near the caliber as yours. It’s evident they don’t have the ability to reach the audience as you do. For others reading this thread I would like to say I have attended Ron’s PLC5 class and the videos are just a small sample of what his classes are like. I was overwhelmed by all of his knowledge on PLC’s. I highly recommend his PLC classes if given the opportunity. Ron, you are in a league all by yourself. You have a great gift of teaching and I really appreciate your knowledge. My hat is off to you! Keep up the GREAT work, Gary

Ron You are more than welcome. I am not finished with them yet. They look great keep up the great work. ADVERTISMENT NOTICE As you all can tell by my avatar I have been thought a great training class. I was fortunate enough to get a one on one class with Ron. He created a class around my needs. Structured Text, Sequential Function Chart, Ladder Logic in the ControlLogix. Whether Ron used me as a Guinea pig or not I may never know. He said that I was the first to need SFC so we did it. It wasn't the same old training that I had been to from others training sources. It was a fast, intense and direct. We didn't spend a day learning to count, or playing monkey see monkey do off a overhead projector. When I made a mistake Ron let me and then let me answer my own question about why and how it happened. Some of the other classes I have had the instructor would stop you mid stream and correct you. We took a short break every day for 15 or 20 minute at lunch and then started running again. The side trips or odd stories that he has in his head are worth the price of admission and then some. Twice since then I have had his stories come true and fixed them at a customers site in no time. It will give you a complex if you are not careful (lucky for me I have you all to remind me what I don't know). In short this guy is a GURU he will not admit it but he is. Jeff Kiper

Greetings Gary and Jeff ... and thank you both for the kind compliments ... it's things like this that keep me going - and I sincerely appreciate your thoughts ...

for those of you have slow internet connections - or other similar problems - Archie has put the series of eleven "Sample Lesson" videos on a CD which is available here: CD of videos on ebay as you can tell from the price, we're not trying to make any money on this - and the same material is already available for free on the internet ... however, this CD format should make it easier for those of you who've had problems accessing the videos over dial-up connections, etc. ... hope this helps ...