Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nguyenthanhcanh

Finsgateway 2003 problem

11 posts in this topic

Hello, Now I just Immigrate to Windows Vista but when I run Finsgateway, some errors occur (all services are failure). See below pictures. Please give me an advice. Thanks Edited by nguyenthanhcanh

FGW2003 is not a Vista compatible application. Sysmac Gateway (released in Japan) is an updated and expaneded version of FGW that is Vista compliant. Sysmac Gateway includes the FINSGateway that you are familiar with, and also includes Ethernet/IP (hense the name change from FINS Gateway to Sysmac Gateway. It is now more than just the FINS protocol). Contact your local Omron office or Omron distributor to purchase a copy of Sysmac Gateway. I don't know how widely distributed Sysmac Gateway is around the world yet, so be patient if your distributor is not aware of this product yet. PMCR

Not true - it is compatable. I have it running successfully on several sites on Vista Business. You nedd Vista Business though. I even have it running successfully with a PCI Controller Link card on Vista. Turn off UAC and all is well. By the way I had the same problem at first. Please read the attachment as to the compatabilty of Omron software and Vista. Sysmac Gateway will be good when it arrives - we do not have it in Ozz yet. By the way, the attachment is now on the Citect site also. FGW_Vista_Installation.pdf Edited by BobB

Bob That's great information. Thank you.

I second that. I have put it up at the download section and added a link to the download in the Omron FAQ. FINS Gateway & Windows VISTA technote @ MrPLC.com

Thank you. I have resolved the problem after turn off "User Account Control"

Hello Everyone, Can anyone please inform where I can get FINS Gateway 2003? We are trying iFIX v4.5 to communicate with OMRON CS1 through FINS Ethernet. I have the iFIX OMF Driver for OMRON FINS Ethernet but iFIX tech support said that the OMF Driver only works with OMRON FINS Gateway 2003. Is SYSMAC Gateway compatible with Windows XP also? I would like to try SYSMAC Gateway as an alternative but the PDS stated that the SYSMAC Gateway works with Vista. Thanks in advance.

FINS Gateway (now updated to include the CIP protocol for EtherNet/IP and called SYSMAC Gateway) is compatible with XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (32 bit). Any application that has API calls to FINS Gateway 2003 will also work with SYSMAC Gateway. SYSMAC Gateway is a software product that is sold by Omron, and is not something that can simply be downloaded.

Thanks for the information, PMCR. Yes, I know it should be purchased from OMRON and I do trust that it should work as a replacement for FINS Gateway. It's the SCADA software that I'm using now that I have doubt with. With all the hassle that I am now getting with iFIX trying to use Ethernet and OPC, I would like to try first if SYSMAC Gateway will work with IFIX. Until now their tech support group is saying that the OMF (Ethernet) driver of iFIX is only works with FINS Gateway. Because we will only need the SYSMAC Gateway for the iIFIX SCADA software, I think it's just the right time to change the SCADA software that we are using for on our next projects because it does not work well with OPC servers (too much delay) and it needs an obsolete middleware to connect to the ethernet. I was using CX-Supervisor before (on my previous company) the connection through the ethernet is simple and so is the connection to the OPC Server even from another vendor (or maybe we'll try also Wonderware).

If the iFIX driver for Omron FINS Ethernet is as outdated as the native Omron Ethernet driver of Proficy Cimplicity SCADA, (which is likely to be the case) I would definitely not use this native iFIX driver. I found the Cimplicity driver was last updated about 8 years ago so you will not find support for the newer CPU series (CJ1M, CJ2) and memory areas (Work area). Instead I went for a Kepware OPC server with FINS Ethernet plugin. Setting up the devices and tags is a walk in the park and debugging connection problems is awesome down to very details like routing table problems which even Omron software doesn't do that well. Just my advice.

Thanks. Actually, I used first the Kepware OPC Server and yes it's a walk in the park to set-up the Kepware server and OMRON communications. However, I encountered so many issues with iFIX specifically with arrays and the use of DR data types wth OPC driver. I'm using iFIX version 4.5 and I can't write to the array elements conesecutively. If there's only one element involved in the script then there's no problem but if more than 1 then I have to use delay subroutine before writing to the next element. And I can't write to the DR tags by bits, totally, even though it's stated in the iFIX electronic book that this is possible. I consulted these issues with the local tech support and they recommended to use the iFIX OMF Driver to communicate directly with OMRON through the ethernet.