Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D.T.

SLC 5/05

12 posts in this topic

We recently went out of business and I helped tear down the plant. Anyway, they were going to toss a control panel for a plating operation and I took the AB PLC home. The thing is I forgot the software. So I DL the demo program and RS Linx classic, but I only have Windows XP. When I try to get connected to the PLC CPU, I get XP is not supported. Any ideas? Do I need Windows NT (previously) to be able to tinker around with my PLC? Also, do I need a null modem DB 9 cable to connect with my laptop? I want to keep up my skills and try to get a job in this industry. Thanks! Dave

The demo/free version of RSLogix 500 only works with one model of ML1000, it will not work with a 5/05. Yes you do need a null modem serial cable. I'm running RSLogix 500 ver. 8.10.00 (CPR 9) on WinXP sp2 without issues.

Man Ken you make me feel ancient running RSlogix 500 Version 6.30 (CPR7) on my XPSP2.

Any where I can get RSview32 software? Ebay possibly? Even then would I be able to connect with XP? I'm trying to make a training/experiment/maintenance station. I bought a female/female serial cable, can I hack it open and swap the Rx Tx wires around and wa-la a null modem? If not, I'll have to get an adaptor. Anyone know the pin out of a null modem? Thanks Edited by D.T.

I ran ver. 7 for a long time, recently upgraded so I could do a small project with the ML1400. We have a tech-connect contract, mostly for the software upgrades anyway.

SO do we but our version contrrol software supports up to version 7 and no one has seen the need to go past 6.3 since all new hardware is logix 5000 platform.

To work with an SLC-5/05, you need at least RSLogix 500 Starter Edition, which retails for about $500. It will run on Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2. I'm not sure where the "XP not supported" message would have come from. Windows XP Home Edition is not supported by any RSI software, but that message would have shown up during software installation, not when you attempt to connect to a controller. If the software you downloaded is the older "Free Edition" of RSLogix 500, it supports only one model of controller, the MicroLogix 1000 Series F 10-point controller, so it would have given you a diagnostic message indicating it does not support the SLC-5/05. The current free edition of RSLogix 500 is called "RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite" and will program only the MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 controllers. RSView32 and FactoryTalk View SE/ME don't have demo or free editions.

I did grab the MMI back up CD for the plating system. I can look on there and see if anything will help. It has files like... KEY,RCP,TAG,Tgs,VBA Mcr baker.rsv Dlglog commands.sec DTS users.act Gfx

I realize the situation you are in, but I'll advise you that I have never seen a legitimately offered Rockwell Software license on EBay. That doesn't mean they do not exist, and it's legal to resell your licenses (OEMs do so every day), but every one I have seen is either offered without a license or is illegally breaking the copy protection. A handful of guys went to prison last year for selling RSI Toolkits with stolen license keys. That being said, the best place to buy an inexpensive software set is probably your former employer. Even if they are out of business, the licenses may still be validly able to be transferred, just like that SLC hardware was. Send me a message via the Forum if you want help finding the correct contact and procedures. About the backup for the plating system; those are Runtime files, not the installation files for the RSView32 development software.

The CD is useless as far as licensing goes. You need a master disk which contains the license. You can run the software even if the license was moved off the master disk as long as the floppy is in the drive. You can also reset the license count once per year via Rockwell's web site (look for "reset codes") for free. This procedure was developed specifically for the event that something catastrophic like a hard drive failure occurred and you needed to recover your license. I'm not sure if you need a techconnect or other support contract in order to access it but at least back in the RS-View32 days, all you had to do was to register on the web site, which was free.

Yes and in addition Rockwell tracked down each and every buyer of that software. I think you would do better to stay away from EBay for purchases such as that.