Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerryH

1746-BAS in a RIO Rack

9 posts in this topic

We have to add a Basic Module to an existing machine and the only free slot is in an RIO rack. Can the module be used in this rack and how would I have to transfer info to it. Would I be able to use M0 registers or must I use BTW's? I need 4 words of data but would like some spare words for future. thanks, Jerry Edited by JerryH

Have you checked out this tech note http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...td009_-en-p.pdf it shows and RIO and BAS setup

I'm looking through the note now, thanks for the link to it. What I don't understand is how I'll be able to send multiple words to this module. The rack is configured for single slot addressing so each slot is addressed to a single word. The RIO card is in slot 9 of the main rack so each slot in the remote rack starts with a 9 (O:9.1, O:9.2, O:9.3 etc). It seems if I sent more than one word to the slot the module is in it would overwrite the next slots. Hope I'm making sense about my concerns. thanks, Jerry

Let's see if I can Explain this. If O:9.1 is an OA121 card for example then you wirte 16 bits to it for each of the 16 bits. But whne O:9.2 is a BAS card the the 16 bits O:9.1/0 thru O:9.1/15 represent the 16 data lines communication between the SLC CPU and the BAS module. They become transparent to you and you do not write to or read O:9.1/0 thru O:9.1/15 or I:9.1/0 thru I:9.1/15 unless that location is a special status indicator. The first word you wrtie to I:9.1 actually goes to BAS Memory Location something like 0000. the next word to 0001 and 0002 and so forth. They are addresses on a memory chip in the BAS. While not fully technically accurate, {see the manual for that level of detail}, my layman's descriptions above should help clear things up. I Hope.

Thanks, I've had to switch gears and work on something else that came up. I'll get back on this the first of the week. Your explanation makes some sense, I have to study it a little more to understand it. Jerry

Been looking at this doc and it is for sending data directly from a comm port on the basic module to the processor. The other document it references is to send data from the processor directly to a comm port. I need to send data from the processor into the basic module memory that will be formatted and then sent out a comm port. I've tried to do variations of these examples but I still can't figure out how to get data to the basic input buffer area. Any other suggestions? thanks, Jerry

I am not 1746-BAS fluent but a quick search of the Ab Knowledgebase revealed several examples. It sounds like what you want is a Call 23 command. Answers ID's 24543 amd 24456 will ahve what you are looking for.

I have used Call 23 in the past but I can't get it to work in this RIO system. Also, the two answer ID's you suggested are locked out unless tech support is purchased. Thanks for the suggestions, I would appreciate any more help or suggestions. Surely there is a way to make this work. Jerry

Can anyone review AB ID answer 17800 "1746BAS module in a remote rack" and give me the gist of what's in it. thanks, Jerry