Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pseudoquas

Additional Diplomatic snafu?

7 posts in this topic

As you are probably aware, control design issues have entered the diplomatic arena. Secretary Rodham-Clinton presented the Russian ambassador with a reset button to supposedly "reset" russian-U.S. relations, following the nasty bush years. The media widely reported on the labeling snafu : "overcharged" (peregruzka), vs. "reset" (perezagruzka). However, I have not seen a comment on the choice of button: http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/ph...a66f7e2407b25a/ As you can see here, this is a twist-to-release type button. This seems to be a major danger to U.S - russian relations. If the ambassador presses the overcharged (reset) button, but forgets to twist release it, I fear that our diplomatic relations will forever be in a reset condition, never to progress, never to move forward.

Good Catch !! Isn't that actually an Emergency Stop Button according to NFPA 79? NFPA 79 - 2007 Section 10.7.3 " The RED/YELLOW color combination shall be reserved exclusively for Emergency Stop Application"

Maybe someone should e-mail Hillary and turn her on to MrPLC.com. She can then ask questions here and get it right next time. After all we are here to help. Edited by Mickey

Submitted to the State Department Website a few minutes ago. I'll post their responses.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. Thank you for contacting the State Department. Subject --------------------------------------------------------------- Pushbutton Given to Russians Violated OSHA - NFPA79 Discussion Thread --------------------------------------------------------------- Response (Support Agent) - 03/20/2009 03:45 PM Thank you for your message to Secretary Clinton sharing your thoughts and concerns. We value your opinion and will take it -- and the views of all Americans -- into consideration. Secretary Clinton is committed to strengthening America’s national security, advancing the interest of the United States, and restoring America’s leadership position in the world. Question Reference #090311-000215 --------------------------------------------------------------- Category Level 1: Secretary of State Date Created: 03/11/2009 04:51 PM Last Updated: 03/20/2009 03:45 PM Status: Solved [---001:000887:10934---]

You should feel much better now that you know its been solved.

Ohh, man, that made me bust out laughing when I read your subject line: Subject --------------------------------------------------------------- Pushbutton Given to Russians Violated OSHA - NFPA79 … and agreed, how could this be "solved"? This may a be more significant FUBAR than obama's gift of un-playable DVD's to British PM Gordon Brown: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...o-in-No-10.html Edited by pseudoquas