Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mpc

Message setup between Micrologix PLCs and SLC5/05

7 posts in this topic

Can somebody give me example how to configure messages bewteen Micrologix1400 PLCs and SLC5/05 PLCS through ethernet connection? Senerio: ML1140 to ML1100: ML1100 to SLC5/05: SLC5/05 to ML1100: (which is the communication command) Thanks in advance. Edited by mpc

First you need to be sure that the SLC-5/05 has at least OS501 FRN 5 firmware. That firmware level added "EtherNet/IP" messaging to the SLC about ten years ago. The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 both only support EtherNet/IP. MSG instruction syntax and methods for SLC and MicroLogix are very similar but with some small differences in capabilities and syntax. They are described in the Instruction Set References for the products. For SLC-5/05, it's in Publication 1747-RM001 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm001_-en-p.pdf For MicroLogix 1100, Publication 1763-RM001 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm001_-en-p.pdf For MicroLogix 1400, Publication 1766-RM001 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...rm001_-en-p.pdf

Thanks, Ken. Actually I think Micrologix1400 fits more in my application but the sales guy said ML1400 is not CSA approved so they dont suggest.

To read to a SLC in your message instruction fill out the fields properly. Here is an example of a Micrologix reading from a SLC. The data table in the SLC is N25:0, length of 1. (Meaning you read 1 word fro the SLC, to read 10 change the length to 10.) The destination in the Micrologix will be an Integer tag array of N25. (If you read 10 words make sure the N25 array in the MLIX has at least 10 array items.. otherwise ERROR) (Same for the data table in the SLC. The # of elements must be there to read them.) First thing to do is set up the mapping. In the Logix5000 menu click Logic, Map PLC/SLC Messages. Enter the SLC file number you are reading. For Integer file N25, just enter the 25 - not the 'N'. Enter Micrologix Tag Name you are writing to. For this Enter N25. ( File Number = 25. Name = N25) (If you don't do the mapping, you'll never get it to work = ERROR) Now for the Message Instruction setup: Message Type: SLC Typed Read Source Element: N25:0 Number of Elements: 1 Destination Element: N25[0] Click the Communication tab to set the Communication path. Path: LocalENB, 2 , ip_address_of_SLC (example: LocalENB, 2 , 10.5.2.148) Communication Method is CIP Click the Tag tab. Name: msgReadSlC. Its a tag of type MESSAGE. Make sure you can Ping IP address the SLC by typing Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (of course you substitute the SLC IP, not xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.) (If it doesn't Ping correctly, it will never read = ERROR) Make sure in the SLC data table that Integer file N25 exists and it is has enough length for what you are trying to read. Remember reading N25:0 for a length of 10 is N25:0 - N25:9 Good luck.

You are correcty .Didn't have my coffee before I posted and had a smudge on my glasses, the sun got in my eyes. etc...