Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsmartin_98

Micrologix 1000

9 posts in this topic

I realize that it would probably be cheaper to just trash it but out of curiosity has anybody replaced the output relays on one of these things? Or is it even possible? Looking for something to do when I get bored. Thanks TS

I have replaced many burnt out relays. I disassembled the MicroLogix and found the manufacturer of the relay, I believe it was Omron, and I desoldered and replaced the relay. Be careful when deslodering, I used a low wattage soldering iron, 7 watts I believe. I had replaced a few of the 16 I/O models and kept the "Bad" MicroLogix. When I found the relays and who to order from, at about $5.00 each, I repaired all of the bad relays in the Micrologix PLC's and when I had a problem, I replaced it with the repaired unit. Hope this helps.

Omron Relay in a Rockwell PLC - Surprise, Surprise. Bet you won't find an AB Relay in an Omron PLC.

AB doesn't make a lot of the things they sell. Why would you be surprised?

I'm not surprised, I'm also not a net savy kid so I guess my sarcasm didn't come thru my post.

Bob the "sarcasm" did come thru for me. Think it is kind of ironic I remember a story from an old timer about a Omron relay holding in on an E-stop after actuation. I switched to DC just because of that one. Edit I didn't read that post on the E3 until after I wrote this. Edited by JAK

Just terrible when your stories come back to haunt you - don't ya know

I have also done numerous relay replacements in Micrologix units, I have done a couple of 1000's and a couple of 1500 ( base units) now. Had enough sense to get work to get a desoldeing station for it though, Got a reasonable one for $300 that works well and makes changing the relays effortless and it has payed for itself many times over even having done the small number of PLC's it has been used on. All the relays i have changed so far have been Omron G6D-1A-NP relays. I believe the NP stands for Nickel plated ( contacts). The most commonly available version of these relays seems to be Silver contact version. I doubt this matters all that much though. One Gotcha though is that some of the ones i have found use 21V VDC coil versions of these relays - not that easy to find. Most however use the normal 24 VDC but it's something to be aware of. I suspect that it wouldn't really with only a 3V difference matter but it was something i had never seen before. The only problem i have found overall with changing the relays lies not in actually replacing the relays, it's being able to disassemble the Micrologix without breaking the plastic housing, They go quite brittle with heat and age which means you have to be extra careful dismantling them.

I know this is an old post - but I have a Micrologix 1000 and am considering changing the output relays to Solid-State devices on my training rig - i figure students will try to make these things switch as fast as they can, just to hear the noise !! The information here may be useful to others. Omron do a SSR equivalent to the G6D, the G3DZ, a direct replacement. However, the load current switching capabilty is only 0.6A compared to the G6D's 5A, but in my case this will not be a problem. For those people changing relays in ML1000's and the like - you might consider putting relay bases (P6D-04P) on the controller PCB, relays then become pluggable. The base will raise the relay by 6mm, which is not a problem in the casing of the ML1000 G6D - visit Omron page SSR - visit Omron page Socket base is shown on the G6D page Edited by daba