Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buckaroo

Tech Connect

11 posts in this topic

After much discussion, I finally convinced my company to get a Tech Connect contract. As I search the knowledge Base certain answers have links to a Word doc. This is where my problem is. When I try to open the link I get an access denied error from the antivirus software the company is using(AVG). I spoke to the IT department and they will not allow me to open the link due to security issues. They suggest I get it in a PDF which the software will allow. Question is this, can I somehow get the link in the Knowledge Base answer in PDF format? Also if someone has information or suggestions I can take to the ITguys to access this that would be great. I feel I am just getting the old run around from those guys. Any questions or comments are welcome. If this topic is better suited in another place, for example the computer forum, please move there. Thanks Tom

Unfortunately I think you can only download it in the format it was created in by whoever made the knowledgebase article. Maybe you can get the IT guys to download it, do a virus scan, check for macros, etc. and then give it to you. It would be nice if AB used something more friendly than Word documents.

I just found one and right clicked it. I did a "save link as" then in the save window I changed the file type from "Microsoft Word document" to "all files", then changed the file extension from ".doc" to ".pdf". Once the file was downloaded I changed it back to a ".doc". I don't know if this will work for you or if it will still recognize the file as a Word document.

I will give it a try to see if it works. Thanks

Well I tried that and it did not work. I got some pop up saying it could not be opened. I also tried to print target but that did not work as well. I guess I will have to keep talking to IT and see if there is something that can be done. Tom

Try Google Documents http://docs.google.com/

I will take a look. Thanks for the link.

I tried and unfortunately got the same error as before. I copied and pasted the URL from the knowledgebase document to Google Documents page and hit upload and no go. On to other things I guess.

Thanks for bringing this up, Buckaroo. I was corresponding with one of the Knowledgebase administrators about a related topic, because the document files on several Knowbase entries used spaces in the filename, but the first word was the same on each. This caused my browser to download them with the same name, which was just the first word. I also asked about PDF format, and was told we had specific input from customers insisting on MS-Word documents instead of PDF. Your input, and that of your IT department, provides some additional weight to my argument that PDF was a better file format for these kinds of documents because it does not pose a risk from macros. If you have a problem with a Knowledgebase document, enter a feedback rating of 50% or less and put your comments (like requesting a PDF printout and giving your e-mail) and the administrators will get back to you often the same day. I once blew off some steam in a KB feedback and got a "Ken, calm down !" message.... I didn't realize they went directly to Josh and the other admins. :)

Could you give the technote number that you were trying to open. I tried it with several of them and it worked

Ken, Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and see. TW, I don't recall which tech note it was at this time. I am kind of in the middle of numerous things so I thought I would check to see how this topic was coming along. I will try to post later today which ones I was trying to open. I know it was a number of them and not just one specific one. Tom