justwhy2003

Citect SCADA interface

28 posts in this topic

Hi In the past i have interfaced Citect (version 5 i think) with a Mitsubishi Fx0n via RS232 serial communication and setting up the driver via MX component. Im now using a different computer that has a serial output and an adaptor to the RS232 cable. Im also using Citect version 7. I cant seem to get communications, i know there is differences in this version of Citect (clusters) but i think the problem is down to the communications. Could it be that the interface doesnt like the serial adaptor. Does this version of SCADA still use MX4 to set up the drivers? i dont see it included in the software package. If anyone has any input id really appreciate some help. Thanks Justin

Why did you use MX components?? Citect has a serial driver for the FX series. In V7 did you setup your PC has the I/O server or this device. This is done differently than in the previous versions. Before you had to set this up using the computer setup. Now you give your I/O server an IP adress Edited by Gambit

Im trying to use the inbuilt mitsibushi drivers in citect now (it doesnt seem to even have an option for MXcomp) I seem to be making communications in that the symbol set icons that im testing with are not covered in dots. However they are still not changing state as change the PLC variables. I can see in the communications setting that although ive selected "melsecFx general" and "serial point to point", in the express io setup, it is shown as "Melsfx2n". could it be that the CITECT doesnt have drivers for the PLC im using (FX0-14MR-ES)? im now also using Citect version 7.1 (full version, not the MX4). Edited by justwhy2003

The best way to check communication is to have the kernel on the menu. You can select this in the computer setup. The driver for FX0 is the same as the driver for FX2N. Did you set up your PC as the I/O server by defining your IP adress and connecting it to the I/O server?

How do i connect the IP address to the I/O server? What is a Kernel?

im not using the computer in a network or even with a LAN connection, im just connecting the 2 with a RS232 cable. Does this maka difference to if i need to use the IP address, ive tried defining the IP address and connecting it to my server but im not making any progress. My symbol set is now dotted out again.

There is a difference. Before V7 you would set up your computer and tell it if it was an I/O server or not. In V7 you have to define an IP adress which Citect will check at start up so it will know it's I/O server or alarm server etc. Right now your PC running citect doesn't know it's the I/O server. This is what you do. Go to the communication folder click on network adresses. Define a name Define your IP adress or localhost(127.0..... Now double click on your I/O server and select the name you defined for your PC. oops just read you've already done that. It's good that you see the dot's now. This means your I/O server is working but your communication setup is incorrect. Can you post your settings? Edited by Gambit

Here is a print screen of my settings. Ive also used Port 1 in the past but using port 3 was the setting i used before where the symbol set wasnt dotted out. Now neither is clear. The IP address is the IP address of my laptop that im using. Also i have selected the driver: Mitsubishi/Melsec-FX series general/Serial (Point to point) when setting up my connection using the Express communications wizard. CItect_printscreen.bmp Edited by justwhy2003

Just made you a small demo project. Unzip and restore testFX.zip

Thanks Gambit but im still getting the dotted out symbol. Ive configured my I/O devices and address as youve done in your example project. Could it be because i have a dongle between the PC and PLC? maybe im just clutching at straws.. Edited by justwhy2003

Did my project work? I was set to localhost so it should work on your PC aswell I used M8013 so the bit on the the Licgt should change color when you have communication I tested it before I send it so it should work. What kind of dongle is between the PC and the PLC?? Why not use your SC09 programming cable. If you can program Citect will work also.

Im not sure what type of dongle/cable i have as there is not label on it. Its the only one i have and it programs from Gx so i presume it should work with the Citect. ive attached a photo of the connections/cable When i tried to run your program it states "This liscence node cannot be any type of server. Please disable all servers. Ive tried running both the example project and the textFX project, which one should work for me? Appreciate you efforts.

TestFX should work. Just run the computer setup next ...next ...next etc and then run.

Ok the citect is running now but the symbol is still dotted out. Ive tried it just as you sent it and ive tried it with putting my laptops ip address in for the network address. do i need to change anything outside the citect program i.e. to do with networking?

You did not need to change the ipaddress. 127.0.0.1 means localhost so it will work on all machines. Strange It should be working. Do you still have your programming software open. maybe it hasn't released the COM port. If it's open than close the software completely Can't really think of anything else Edited by Gambit

Ive connected a Fx1S now to see if it made any difference. Ran your testFX prog. The light symbol isnt dotted out anymore but it still isnt flashing with M8013...

The FX series driver should work for all FX PLC. The driver is the same. If the Light symbol isn't dotted: Either your I/O server isn't running or the PLC is in stop mode. Extra check for your driver if you haven;t created an alarm page & hardware page. During computer setup check "kernel on menu" When you run Citect press ALT SPACEBAR and select kernel View I/O Devices. From here you can check if your I/O Device is running Edited by Gambit

kernel.bmphere is what i get when i access the kernel. this all seems ok? could it be anything to do with the baud/parity bits associated with the communications settings in the "Port" item?

looks like the I/O server started. But you can check if it can also communicate with your FX via VIEW => I/O Devices Edited by Gambit

Communication is running fine. The light symbol should change color every second unless your PLC isn't in RUN mode Edited by Gambit

its really wierd. when i go back on monday im going to un-install citect and re-install it. maybe even try using version 7.0 instead of version 7.1 to see if that makes a difference. I need to interface with an Fx3u next week also so i hope that goes a bit more smoothly as its quite an important job.

does the cable in the photo ive posted above look ok? you mentioned a SC09 programming cable in an earlier post. it this something i can make up myself or should i look into purchasing one? when i plug out the PLC, the symbol dotts over after about 10 seconds and when i plug it back in the symbol isnt dotted over. surely this means there is communications somewhere. i cant see how this would communicate but a changing m8013 register wouldnt grrrrrrr I cant think of anything else... a bit stuck here Edited by justwhy2003

Hmmmm ok, i installed Mx comp from a version 5 cd that i had and set up a driver through that. i then set the Mx comp as my driver in the version 7.1 Citect and the symbol is changing with M8013. not sure why this works and the other 1 didnt but im going to go with it for the while. If anyone has come across this before, feel free to make a suggestion. Ta

Furthernote to above posting. Ive just connected an FX3u to the same SCADA and the communication worked straight away using the FX3u dedicated driver in Citect. Not sure why ths is but if i was using below a Fx2 spec PLC again id use the MX comp based driver as it was the only way I could get the Citect talking to both my Fx0 and Fx1 PLCs. Maybe usefu to someone in the future. Justin