Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Estey

Encoder connection

2 posts in this topic

Hi I am using a CJ1M CPU13 and have an input module CJ1W-IDP01.I need to connect 3 encoders all running at apx the same speed of 16 PPS will this module work for this application.Thanks for any help with this

Bill This should work just fine for your application. You will need to create the counting function in ladder. Actually, a standard input card could also work for this application. Assuming 16 pulses / second, that is 0.0625 seconds (~62 ms). This is ~ 31 ms on/ 31 ms off. A standard input card could count this. My rule of thumb is scan time X 4 for on and off time. Lets say your CJ1M has a scan time of 7 ms (which would be large for a CJ1M), this would give you 28ms on, 28 ms off as a minumum, and you have 31. One thing to make certain that you do is turn the Response Time filter for the 'slot' that contains the input module to 'No Filter' as shown in the Settings. The default value is 8ms, which creates an 8ms delay between the input turning on and the PLC seeing the input. This is 8ms be default to combat contact bounce on relay inputs. Input_Filter.bmp