Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nenad_m

SCADA over GPRS

3 posts in this topic

Hello, We are planning to develop SCADA system over GSM network utilizing GPRS service. Data communication protocol between remote devices and SCADA HMI software will be DNP3. I am interested does GSM/GPRS modems on remote and central sites need to support DNP3 protocol by itself to make DNP3 communication between master and remote stations possible? Also is WiMAX technology suitable in SCADA systems instead GSM?

What is your question? Or what do you want to share? I have done a SCADA project over GPRS before using IEC 104 and Viola product. We can share and learn from each other because not much different between DNP3 and IEC 104.

I worked on something similar with Modbus over Airlink Raven modems. Using those modems and a frame relay, everything just looked like a big TCP/IP network except with a bit more latency. I used a SCADA-level OPC Server. No reason you couldn't do the same thing with DNP if you had an HMI that could handle it, or by using an OPC Server for SCADA DNP3. Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC