Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
colinthebassist

Problems connecting to CQM1 CPU41

12 posts in this topic

Hi all. I have a CQM1 unit with a CPU 41 that I am trying to connect to. I've bought the CQM1-CIF02 cable to connect up with it. I've set switch 5 to ON to set comms back to standard. I've set my network settings to sysmac-way, 9600, 7E2. When attempting to connect with the network config utility the activity LED does blink maybe 5-10 times but the connection always fails. Auto online also fails 100% of the time. Any help to get this working is much appreciated!

Depending on the age of the PLC, the 'default' settings activated by DIP switch 5 could be 2400, 7, E, 2. For CQM1's manufactured before ~ June, 1996, the default was 2400 bps. Later PLCs were 9600 bps. You indicated that you were using the 'network configuration utility'. Which package and version are you using (ie CX One version xx, CX Programer version xx, Syswin, etc). I don't remember off hand what the lowest baud rate that auto-online would use. A few other questions. Is the PLC functioning normally? Which power supply are you using for the CQM1.

Good call, PMCR! Auto baudrate starts at 9600. That's why auto-online didn't work.

Thank you wise sage. The other thing I am fishing for is the possible PA206 to PA216 change of power supplies. PA216 requires a jumper for 110 VAC, like old C200H power supplies did. PA206 did not.

Still no luck with those settings PMCR. I have CX-one v1.11, and CX-Programmer is v6.11. The powersupply on my unit is a PA203, and only has one terminal for 120VAC hot. Could it be that the peripheral port has been configured for something no standard? I could make a rs232 cable and try connecting to the unit that way instead of using my CQM1-CIF02 cable. Also currently there is no lights illuminated on my cpu, although the com1 light does blink on occasion when attempting to connect. Dip switch settings are as follows: Memory Protect: on M/C Auto Read: off Message English: on Default instruction set: on RS232 fixed setting: on AR0712: off

I have seen a couple of times on CQM1 battery leaked and destroyed the card near the peripheral port. Then communication was not possible.

Under network settings, have you chosen network 0, node 0? Also did you try 2400 baud as suggested by PMCR?

Checked the battery and the inside of the CPU. Nothing is leaking and all the boards look good. I have tried both the peripheral port and rs232 port at 2400 baud. I may try and make an omron specific rs232 cable tomorrow to see if I can connect that way as the standard rs232 cable doesn't work. Also when setting connection to 2400baud, 7E2 on the peripheral port I get lots of activity from the com1 LED on the CPU, but still no connection. Network and node both default to 0 and I cannot change that setting(grayed out).

If you are going to make an RS232 cable, use the document below. Remember that Signal Ground is pin 9 on the Omron serial port. Omron Serial Cables @ MrPLC.com

OK, now we are looking for a deeper issue. In a post farther up the page, you stated 'Also currently there is no lights illuminated on my cpu, although the com1 light does blink on occasion when attempting to connect'. When you say no lights, do you mean no RUN light? Is the PLC functioning normally, and only failing to communicate, or are there other problems that are causing you to try to connect? I would move switch 5 to the right (OFF) and then back to the right (ON) to make certain that it is making connection. I have seen some switches not fully seated in the ON position. With switch 5 ON, the settings will be either Sysmac Way, 9600, 7, E, 2 (CQM1s produced after June 1996) Sysmac Way, 2400, 7, E, 2 (CQM1s produced during or before June 1996). Also make certain that the CQM1-CIF02 cable is fully seated in the peripheral port connector on the PLC. I was using one last week, and had some difficulty fully seating it. On the Network tab in the setup of Sysmac Way, is the Host Link Unit Number set to 0?

Is the end cover properly attached?

Good thought, PdL! No end cap, bad power supply, etc is what I am looking for with the RUN led or no RUN led. Edited by PMCR