Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indepthmarine

NS12 V8.10 update

27 posts in this topic

I have an NS12-TS01B-V2-HB. It has system version 7.0 installed. Tried Sandisk 128Mb card, formatted in command prompt to FAT. I downloaded the version 8.1 from MR PLC and unzipped, put bank 1, bank 2, etc. on the card. My run light blinked green, and alarm beeped continuously. "call Omron support" Did that, he resolved most of it. Re-formatted the card in the CJ1M PLC, and dragged the files again. When transfering from memory card to PT, Bank 1 says it has NS8 system8.1, bank 2 has no system, Bank 3 has NS5 system ver8.1, bank 4 has no system. I aborted at that point, still have ver7.0 I loaded my software from CX-One, not a stand alone CX designer, so my folder did not contain the data. Does anyone have the system version 8.1 for an NS12? Of much less importance... There are 2 terminals marked VR1 and VR2 with a shorting clip across them. It is 3 inches above the 24VDC power terminals. What are they for? I could not find any reference in the manual.

PLease fromat the CF card using a CJ1 PLC or a digital camera. After that copy the whole content of the recoveryupdate folder to your CF card. Add the CF card to the NS12 and power up / perform a clean install. regards, MPM

Yes, I already reformatted the card in a CJ1M CPU13 PLC. The option for clean install does not come up. Options include Japanese or English. Chose English of course. I chose System only, there was no screen data in the PT or on the CF card. THe only option I was able to get to was in "special screens" and Memory card transfer. Highlighting bank 1 states it has version 8.10 on it but only for NS8 highlighting bank 2 states no system version on it highlighting bank 3 states version 8.10 but only for NS5 highlighting bank 4 states no system version In the literature is sounded like when you unzip the recoveryupdate file, it will give you choices of NS5,8,10 or 12, but nothing of the sort came up.

The CF card is formatted in a CJ1M CPU13 to the FAT standard. it is 128Mb, so I confirmed it is an appropriate size. I used WINZIP (paid version) to unzip the system 8.10 posted on this forum. unplugging all data cables from the NS12, inserting the CF card, and turning power on, (with all dip switches off) the run light goes orange for a few seconds, then green for a few seconds, then the alarm sounds repeatedly until I turn power off. Touching corners does nothing, even pressing hard. Tried all combinations of corners, with a few seconds in between attempts. Removing the CF card and powering on, the orange run light goes on, run light turns green screen goes blue, prints "Welcome to NS Series!" Version 3.14 Hardware Devices: OK Now loading System Programs... Now loading Fonts... at which point it hangs up, and goes into alarm (intermittent beep, with green run light blinking) Now looking for suggestions on here while waiting for local Omron rep on phone. Thanks for any tips.

See CX-Designer start menu manual folder, I think you need to look in the setup manual troubleshooting section, it helps you identify your error with screen display and LED status colors. Try to format the CF card in a digital camera if available.

[ See CX-Designer start menu manual folder, I think you need to look in the setup manual troubleshooting section, it helps you identify your error with screen display and LED status colors. Try to format the CF card in a digital camera if available.

The Omron brand 128MB CF card showed up today, but with the same results as Sandisk. (and it cost $255 after shipping express) The generic 2GB cards are $40 in local shops. The NS12 will not take the new system version. The recover/update program downloaded from http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=829 did not work for me. I unzipped it into the root directory of G: (Toshiba made Omron CF card) in Winzip first, then tried WinRar after unsuccesful attempts at updating firmware in the NS12. When turning on the NS12, it freezes at "loading system fonts" and goes into alarm. More information is listed above this posting...Even the original V7.0 or 7.1 is now gone. Next step is ship the NS12 back to Omron and put the project on hold, or take a day off, and a return ferry trip to the mainland to visit Omron. Either way is expensive. Are there any other ideas? Thanks

Does the root of your memory card look like this? If you are using a folder called Recover Update, the contents of the folder should be in the root of the card.

I have verified the operation of the files that are in the download section on an NS12-V1. There should be no differences for an NS12-V2. I even took the NS back down to a version 7.0, and then back up to 8.10, using the files from the download section. I am at a loss as to what the issue could be.

Thanks for looking into it guys! Yes, the root directory looks exactly like your example. On the first download attempt, it seems I still had zipped files hidden in the folders. This resulted in the alarm condition. I now have fully unzipped folders, but cannot get past the alarm condition. Should I remove the battery for 10 minutes, press and hold "reset" for 30 seconds, or any thing of the sort before another attempt? Or would this be a bad idea? The Omron rep is mailing me a CF card loaded with a working set of folders...but I am pretty sure I have the same thing here already. At this point I think I can only hope my earlier upgrade attempt did not damage anything.

I don't believe that your battery or reset idea will work. The items that are damaged are in flash memory. Lets see if the CF card that is being mailed to you helps.

HI Is it not possible that this -HB ( High Brightness), special screen for USA ( different from normal NS screens) has not been part of the V8.10 FW (forgotten??) regards, MPM

MPM Very good point!!! I had forgotten about these units, and I missed the fact that this was a -HB when I read the original post. We don't sell the high brightness version in the US, only in Canada. I believe it was developed for Canada for a specific application. Possibly this one. I did discuss these screens with a friend of mine in Canada (a few months ago), and there were some firmware compatabilities on early units. It may be that firmware 8.10 does not work on this unit. Edited by PMCR

No luck with the CD that was sent. Screen still reacts the same way... The CD was likely the same as you have posted here...by Igor Pavlov With CF card installed and all dip switches off, run light solid orange for several seconds, then solid green for several seconds, to blinking green with audible alarm. With no CF card, seems to start normally, but stops at "loading system fonts" and goes into audible alarm with blinking green light. The CD is supposedly self extracting. Some files that are several folders deep appear to still be zipped when viewed on the computer. Is this normal, or does each file in each folder have to be unzipped individually? I have tried both ways, with the same results listed above. I have not heard back about compatibility of V8.1 with the HB version, but have asked the question to them. regards Tim

These files are compressed installer files which the installer program will uncompress during installation process. You don't need to unzip them yourself, same goes for the files within the system version directories.

Thanks PDL, Local Omron guy just told me there are some .gz files that my computer (and me) is mistakenly association with WinZip. Will try once more leaving them as is, but I am pretty certain I have done several attempts already. Omron is also testing on an HB version screen as well. Hopefully will be resolved soon.

RESOLVED!!! It appears as though WinRAR or WinZip 12.0 was the cause of the problem. I am certain the SanDisk CF card would have worked...it behaved exactly like the pricier Omron card, but now I have the Omron card for future use My computer was mis-associating the system files with other programs installed on my multi purpose laptop. Besides the unzipping errors, it said that the OS9000bt.dat and OSkboot.dat files were "Surfer" files, similar to excel, but used for 3D mapping. I do not know if it changed the files at all, but they did not work in the NS screen. BEWARE>>>try to keep a PLC interface machine as just a PLC interface machine, not as an every day, every use computer. Please learn from my mistake. FYI I downloaded the files again on a different laptop, unzipped the main folders with the standard Windows XP unzip default program, placed Bank1, Bank2, OS9 folders and OS9Kboot file along with OS9000bt file onto the CF card and it worked just like it said it would. The NS12-TS01B-V2-HB does in fact use a different version of the recover/update program. It does not require a BANK3 folder. I will try to post it here from the unaffected (or is that uninfected) laptop. Thank you to everyone who had suggestions.

Victory at last Btw I never had any problems uncompressing the files using Winrar...

I am dealing with the same thing right now. I am waiting on the HB v8 firmware/updater software. Hopefully I'll get it in the morning.

Call Wilson at Omron Canada. He emailed the files to me. He is well familiar with it, and has saved me countless hours of wheel spinning. Or post your email address and I can send you the files. Good luck!

I have been dealing with Jose, Wilson wasn't feeling well yesterday and wasn't in the office. The email size is too large for my inbox (telus.net). Our gmail account doesn't like exe files to be mailed to it. It just seems one hurdle after the other to get the files across. We should add it to the download section on MrPLC, that would be handy. Arjan

I tried posting the software here, but do not have access. Go to yahoo.com and sign up for a free email, they accept 10Mb files for free. They don't delete your old emails anymore, so it is a handy online hard drive. Once you are signed up, let me know what your yahoo email is and I will email you the files. I will also try to email the files to an administrator here so they can post. Jose, Wilson, whoever else at Omron Canada, they are all great. Their service is really great, I know I have used them a lot.

Thanks for the offer. I have the file now, used ftp to temporarily sent it to a site and then I retrieved it. Used a canon 32mb card and updated the system. Worked like a charm, I am back in business. I agree, Wilson and Jose are great. I also deal with Tyrone who used to do Wilson's job years ago. He works for the Automation Dep. at Torbram Electric now. He was there yesterday trying to get things going with me. We couldn't get the file send to use at the site, then there is nothing you can do. Thanks again, Arjan

hi there is some problem when you non omron CF, I get an image from one omron 64MB CF card and attached it. you can restore this image on any CF card and use it as omron CF. for use this image you must have winhex program. if you have not it please tell me to upload it. note: when you restore it on any cf by any size, the size of it return to 64MB. thanks

Please upload this tool. I will test with several CF cards to see how it works with NS terminals.