Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vrbasgrad

rsview 32

8 posts in this topic

Hi! Hope somebody here can help me. I am trying to install RSView on my Windows XP Pro (Service pack 2). However after entering serial number and selecting components to install, I get this popup message: Your existing system path is too long. Please modify your path using control panel-system dialog-environment tab before running setup again. Existing path length is: 426 characters Setup needs to add: 29 characters Maximum NT path length: 256 characters Setup will exit now Hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance. Regards,

I believe this has something to do with either what directory you are installing to or folder names. if you're trying to put it in something like c\programs\rssoftware\rsview\rsview32, try shortening it to c\programs\rsview32. i've run into this before, but it's been about 2 years and i cant remember exactly how i fixed it or what the cause was. but try this and see if it works, and if not hopefully someone more knowledgeable responds.

What version and revision of RSView?

I don't remember exactly what I did but I know it was something like this. You need to go to where the path is stored. Save the current one to a text file and then remove all the paths except the basic ones. Intall RSView and then go back and restore you old path. This has been a problem with AB for awhile, I think their may even be a knowledge base about it.

Check out the AB knowledgebase and answer id 21105 http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/?OpenForm The problem is with installShield not RSView

Hai You have to go control panel and select system icon. In system go to advanced tab and choose enviroment variables. Select PATH and select Edit. it will appear in top split window. if there is any unwanted program is there, delete it. (it will be like this C:\Program Files\Siemens\Step7\S7bin;C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon;c:\program files\RSView;c:\program files\RDM;C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RDM;C:\Program Files\SIEMENS\Common\Sqlany;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem) Check through your PATH line and delete from semicolant to semicolant. Check it. Bye V. Kannan Hai This is Kannan again. sorry! one more thing i forgot. Like BoblFoot states, copy your entire path and paste it in notepad. Delete the entire contentes. Install rsview and restore the copied one. I did previous way. i delete the Simens program from my path and copy it in notepad and installed the rsview. after installation of Rsview, i paste the copied one with existing path. may be your path will not be like mine. but once u go through u will get it. bye. Kannan. V

This is a Windows* OS/file system issue.The cause is the directory paths in the system is longer than 255 characters (including spaces).You may see the error "The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters," under the following circumstances: Opening an assembly with .NET ReflectorExporting source code for an assembly using an add-in such as FileDisassembler, or FileGenerator.There's a lot of additional softwares which can fix this problem like Long Path Tool. http://PathTooDeep.com Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename. I hope that it will help you! Good luck! Cheers!

Exactly, I came to face this issue also. Then some recommended me Long Path Tool software and I am grateful to that person