Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beuwolf_1

Has anyone tried the new Click PLC yet

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone played with PLC Direct's new CLICK PLC? Seems pretty cool, but not sure how to do addressing in modbus. I sure wish things were more transparent when it comes to modbus addressing. Any info would help.

What exactly are you "not sure" of? In the "address picker" select "Display MODBUS Addresses". The address of each location and the applicable MODBUS function codes are shown.

Bernie, I do not know if I can speak for Beuwolf_1, but I think he is trying to "read" a GS3 (dura pulse) modbus addresses 48449 through 48456 which are 5 digit numbers but the click will only accept 6 digit numbers (984 mode). I think he is also trying to write or "send" to GS3 address 42331 and 42332. Again the click will only accept 6 digit numbers. Please excuse me if I have spoken out of turn.

The first '4' in a MODBUS word address is really a 'memory type' indicator. Try adding another '0' between the first '4' and the others. Thus 42331 becomes 402331. Just a suggestion, I haven't done this.

Thats the problem I think is the fact that the drive takes a five digit numbering, and the Click is six digits. I tried to use hex addressing with no results. Also I am using a FA-ISOCON to convert the RS232 to RS485, and not sure if thats working or not or if the drive isn't getting the info cause of the number issues. Any help would be appreciated.

The MODBUS addrtess within a ssection can be up to 65536 register long. The fact that the Durapulse doesn't use thm all (only up to 4 digits - ignore the leading '4') doesn't change how MODBUS is transferred. The address is sent as two bytes ALL THE TIME. The '4' at the start is not sent. It is implied by the type of command being sent. The 6 digit box of the CLICK merely allows for the '4' plus the 0-65535 possibilities of the address. I don't think that's the problem. The FA-ISOCON has a LOT of DIP switches. it took me a while to get thme right when I first used it. I would bet that's where the problem is. But with RS485 it's always a good idea to try swapping the wires, though the diagrams in the Durapulse manual are pretty specific.