Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrankA

communicating with omron plc's

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I need to able to write vb or c++ programs to read and write to a plc. I've seen a couple of posts on similar questions, but i'm a little confused. would i use mscomm for this or i've seen mention that cx-server lite is helpful. We have Cx-One, which has cx-server in it will this do, and how do i go about it? If i need to set a value in a dm would i need to know the dm bit's adress range? Any suggestions for material to study?

You will need to write a DDE or OPC client application that connects to the server software and then reads and writes data to the PLC through it. Most manufacturers of Servers will explain how to do DDE with there servers OPC can be achieved via an autmation wrapper that an OPC Server Vendeor will distribute with there software. You can also find 3rd party development tools from many vendors. You can find a list of those vendors at OPCFoundation.org as well as a the API's that are avaialbe to members. Another very good resource it OPCConnect.com. They provide a lot of free source code examples. The last thing to do is a google search for Cleint development tools.

If all you need to do is set and/or read a few values, then check out this demo from the downloads section: Sysway (HostLink) Demo Program It uses Omron's Host Link protocol. It is documented in this manual: C Series Host Link Manual The C Series Host Link protocol should work for all Omron PLC's. The newer PLC's may have a few more commands and should be outlined in their respective Communications manuals. The newer PLC's also use a documented protocol called FINS. There is a lot of information on both protocols in the downloads section here at MrPLC.

OR try DDE. See below link: CX Server DDE Management @ MrPLC.com

My goodness DDE !! Is that still supported? That was unstable and outdated 10 years ago. Does anybody still use this in Industrial Automation! Bertie