Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indepthmarine

Data Logging

3 posts in this topic

I am working on a data acquisition system...went away from Windows PC and plan to data log in the CJ1M CPU13, or in the NS12 TS01B-V2-HB. I have a AD081-V1, SCU21-V1, and SCU 41 - V1. I have a spare rs485 port on the SCU41, but I am trying to reserve this in case the system multiplies into 2,3,or 4 systems at the same location. Has (or can) this be done? I am putting all parts into splash proof boxes, so I am hoping I do not have to do the file transfer to a memory card. I will have the options of rs232 serial cable through a gland or waterproof connector rs232 serial out to bluetooth adapter ethernet port out through a gland or waterproof connector I have read in the CJ operations manual that only hexadecimal digits can be used...will have to convert some back to text later, but that is Ok. It appears that the CJ1 can only send this file to memory card and not out a serial port...which is a bit worrisome. It will be a fairly small program...logging RFID, bar code ID, weight, length, dissolved O2, water temp, and couple other parameters, along with approx. 6 text choices from pull down menus with pre-programmed text. I believe the data logging feature in the NS screen will be my best choice. I plan to connect a serial cable to a serial port on the NS screen, which will be connected to a laptop at the end of each day. The serial cable will be a dangly, until the laptop hooks up to. At that time, a touchscreen button can initiate the file transfer. I hope to download the data file to the laptop directly into excel, without using CX-One. Does anyone recommend anything that might save me a bunch of time before going down the wrong path? Perhaps I have already wandered into dangerous territory. I placed an order for the NS12 and CJ1 yesterday. I have a CJ1 on my bench that I am trying to read from an RFID reader serial port into SCU41. Thanks for any tips. Tim

It sounds like you are on the right track, if you could provide us some more information, then we can provide more help. If what I have assumed is correct, then you may be best to do the logging in the PLC using DM areas, or possibly in the NS using macros and the NS internal memory areas. If you use the NS, you have a lot more flexibility with the internal memory as opposed to that of the PLC. You could then transfer this to the memory card periodically. I think you are best to retrieve the information with an action from the PC, not the touchscreen button, just easier and less hassle.

Thanks for your tips. The reason I would like to send the data via cable (from either PLC or touchscreen) to the PC is that it will all be in waterproof enclosures, and I would like the biologists to simply plug into a laptop instead of opening a housing, removing a memory card, and so on. I am recording one set of records (8 to 10 fields per record) for each fish that they implant a transmitter into. They might get through 200 records in a day, and then download each day, so I don't think I will run out of memory. The serial port send is triggered by a button on the RFID reader, so RXDU should work fine - I have been trying this, not yet succesful, but will get there. The scale sends a serial string continuously, so my capture will be triggered by a touchscreen button. Again, I plan to use RXDU into dm area. The length measurement is to be determined...but either a local or touchscreen button will capture the value.(this will likely be an analog input) Water temp will be fairly stable, and analog. Will be captured 1 second after RFID with no user input required. Dissolved 02 will be stable, and analog. will be captured 1 second (or similar) after water temp. more to follow as I hit roadblocks. Forgot to mention...it is for Salmon research. Here is the proposed order of operations: The biologists sedate a group of salmon in a tank, then anesthetize one at a time in smaller tank. (water temp + dissolved 02) record weight (serial data) and length (analog) take RFID tag (Hexadecimal number - serial data) to be implanted, acoustic tag to be implanted (bar code reader, as acoustic transmission is random and could take 3 minutes) make incision and implant tags sew up the fish and put into recovery tank record any applicable comments from pull down menu If fish dies, tags are removed and re-allocated. Dead fish record remains in memory with blank fields for tag ID codes A single biologist currently handles 50 a day, and hand writes all info. Trying to speed up the process and eliminate errors of hand writing 9 digit hex numbers, while operating on slimy subjects.