Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nagli Scripalli

B&R Automation Studio -- how to run a project?

7 posts in this topic

I've been evaluating B&R Automation Studio, and I cannot figure out how to test run a project! Sounds dumb, but anyone out there could help me out? Thanks!

I have not actually done it myself, but I believe if you go to the help section and search simulation or I/O simulation you will find some information on how to setup a test project and simulate IO.

Make sure you're connection is ok. You must have the PLC online. Either in service/run/diagnose mode... Menu > Transfer to target. AS will now build/compile the project and transfer it to the plc

Thanks DEVO. I'll give it a try. TimD, So are you saying that I can't simulate a project on my PC? I'm trying to run their COFFEE Machine example.

Looks like I need a dongle for the Automation Runtime to work. Does anyone know if there's a "demo" mode I can use???

Automation Runtime should work without a seperate license. If its not, click the icon in the lower-right of windows and restart it, it should be called ARsim. Sometimes people run into problems when a 2-hour limit on using PVI runs out. PVI is the interface that links between windows program (e.g. Automation Studio) and the automation runtime (ARsim or ARembedded or ARwin) where your code is actually running like on a PLC. If that happens i know you can restart it. Only need to purchase PVI license if setting up automated SCADA system or something like that running on windows all the time. When I do a project, i like to simulate everything, and have a seperate "configuration" for any hardware implementation. the simulations are really cool as they simulate not only PLC and drives but also the motors themselves.

How your perform a simulation depends on your version of Automation Studio. If V3 + then to simulate your real world controller, it is a straight forward process of: 1. adding a AR000 controller into your configuration view 2. Adding the relevant logical modules to the physical view of the simulator config 3. Start AR000 (from Tools menu) 3. Going online (an AR000 TCPIP connection needs to be configured) 4. Download config 5. test If you also have a HMI your need to simulate, you need to configure a VNC viewer on the virtual IF of AR000 and then using VNC viewer you can simulate your HMi as well. Works really nice and easy to swap between real and simulated worlds. If using AS 2, then you need to copy objects between 2 projects (1 for real HW, 1 for simulated HW). So a little more work but still possible. BTW, the simulator is SG4 based, so if using SGC or SG3 controllers, be careful, as some libraries etc will not work without manual adaption to the different target.