Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guzan

Problems updating an NS5-V1 firmware

7 posts in this topic

Last week I tried to update 2 machines from a customer. For my shame I cannot accomplish that objective because of the firmware of the NS5. The NS5 is a SQ-00B-V1. The project is in version 8.0 so I tried to update the firmware from 5.0 to 8.0. I tried everything, I formatted the CF in FAT16, FAT32. And I even formatted the CF in a CJ1… and nothing. The result was always the same, blank screen and orange led. I tried with different CF, a 128MB and a 2GB (both SanDisk). I tried with the firmware 7.0, 8.0 and even 8.1. Nothing, blank screen and orange led. I think it's because of V1, I update many V2 and I never had problems. Please advice. I need to give an answer to my customer.

Hi Guzan, V1 hardware is not your problem. The other cards you use are probably also formatted wrong. Solution: buy a NEW memory card, put a label on it "NS firmware" and NEVER format the card or use it for other purposes. HowToRecoverUpdate_Eng.pdf

Hi Pdl, I remove the communication cable when I tried the update. About the formatting, I even tried in the CJ1. The CFs are both SanDisk, maybe is better to try a different brand of CFs and try your solution. Is there any other brand of CFs known for being better to use in the NSs. The problem is that I have to solve the problem in the next time or the client will stay very angry with me.

Hi Guzan, The only thing that might work is to format the card in an (old) digital photocamera that takes CF cards. Otherwise I suggest you just buy a new card. I have had good experience with both A brands (sandisk, kingston etc) as B-brands, as long as they were not formatted. Do you have a NS terminal in your office to bench test?

Hi I agree with PdL. I just want to add. Do NOT use CF of 2GB or higher to do the updates. this will fail. regards, MPM

What exactly is the failure? I always use a Kingston Elite Pro 2GB. Never had any problems.

I agree that the CF card is most likely the problem. It has to do with not only the FAT / FAT32 / NTFS formatting, but also the low level formatting of the card when it was produced. Sandisk is usually a good choice. I usually try to find 128 meg cards, as they would have been produced in a timeframe when FAT was the standard. I have been able to reformat a card that was originally FAT and then changed to FAT32 or NTFS back to FAT from the Windows command prompt using the following command. assuming the CF card is the E drive Format E: /FS:FAT The Sandisk card below has never failed me for an NS. I have bought several on Ebay specifically for NS. Omron also sells CF cards that are compatible with NS.