Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omar 23

Laptop whit out serial port

8 posts in this topic

Somebody knows if a card RS232 pcmcia or express card can be used for the data transfer between a CNC and PC, we testing the converter of USB to Serial but do not work. somebody has try this Tks

What type of CNC are you trying to communicate with?

Problems from USB to COM can be caused by windows open your PC properties, hardware, device manager COM and LPT choose your port properties advaced REMOVE ENABLE from FIFO buffers If system is older make serial number COM1 This should help

Not all USB to serial adapters implement the full serial command set. The only one I've had great success with is from Keyspan. The USA-19 (19HS or 19Q or 19QW, whichever is current) works with every Mitsubishi, Siemens, Modicon, and Omron I have ever tried it with. The ones from Belkin, IOgear, and Targus were intermittent at best, or worked with one device and not others.

Quatech SSP-100 G is a fairly reliable card that once inserted into laptop is flush with outside of laptop. Comes with an adaptor cable so you can leave it in laptop and not have to worry about it getting damaged unless you have the cable hooked up to it. I Also use the keyspan and I've had good luck with it.

Quatech only takes up one slot. It has a cable dongle. I can keep the card in there while traveling so I don't have to worry about damaging it. Haven't had a single miss with it yet, not saying its perfect though.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. My new laptop did not have a serial port. We started using the Omron OEM version of the USB to Serial converter for programming using Syswin and later CX Programmer then CX One. Worked fine for the Omron products but later when we switched to PLC direct, they did not work. We used what my system integrator uses for all of his PLC's and it works every time. They say it has auto-tuning built in. I just know it works and works well. I-7561

Keyspan USA-19HS or USA-19Q or USA-19W works for all PLCs I have tested.