Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmervenne

excel to build similar rslogix 500 code

11 posts in this topic

I know that I have used excel and notepad to build similiar rungs of logic before, i just cant remember how. For example, I would copy the text of one rung into excel and separate the contacts into individual cells. then copy that row making the necessary address changes as many times as i needed to. Then I would save it as a .csv file and open it in notepad. Form there I could copy the text and paste into a rung in Logix. This would build my rungs. Can anyone give me a hand, I cant get it to work. I may be saving it wrong from Excel. Thanks Mike

Use the "save as" function, to save the program as a *.slc (library file), then Excel can open the file. Add you "stuff" save it, and then open the library file in RS500.

Ken has the right idea and if you are building several of the same with an ever increasing offset. Say 300 metering belts or 300 transport conveyors. You can use a macro and a for next loop to generate the code automastically. i built the code for a sort and ship warehouse this way once.

Bob uploaded this code generator. It is in the download section I recommend you download it and hang onto a copy of it. It is a nice tool to have in the arsonal.

The "generator" I forgot and JAK reminded me of can be found here.

Hello Mr. Boblfoot I am a new user of AB slc500. Thanks for your Macro prg. I have run and got the rung laddar and IO mapping. i saved as SLC format but i could not open in Rslogix 500. How can i open the file in Rslogix 500? Pl. help me out. Kannan

I'm on Holiday and won't have access to RSlogix and time to look into this before the new year. What I recall is you do not open the SLC you import it. Same with the I/O definitions. Post your spreadsheet as an attachment and you'll probably get a response sooner from other members who can help as well..

TestCode.SLC.xlsThanks! I have attached the Excel fle which was created by the Macros. sure, some one can solve this problem. Thanks in advance. Kannan

What you posted is an Excel File of the Entire Sheet. You needed to save Sheet 2 as a *.CSV file and rename it to an *.SLC File. You needed to save Sheet 3 as a *.CSV file. I have done that here in the Testcode.SLC and Testcode.csv files found in testcode.ZIP. TestCode.zip If the SLC does still not import then do the following: 1. Open a blank RSlogix project and write one rung in Ladder File 2. 2. Export that ladder file as an SLC Library File. 3. Change the extension with windows from SLC to CSV. 4. Open your exported CSV and look at it. it will consist of a header section and a body section where the rung you entered exists in mnemonic form. 5. Take the rungs generated in Testcode.SLC and paste them into the new exported . PRESERVE THE HEADER FROM THE OLD FILE AT ALL COSTS. 6. Save your combined file as a CSV. 7. Rename your combined file as an SLC. 8. Import the SLC into a new project. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Mr. Boblfoot! I was trying to use your SLC directely but it was not working. But, I went through the other steps by opening the blank prj. and i got the output. thanks once again. Kannan

Glad to Help - Note to All - Remember I used motors as a simple example, but a person with VB/Macro Coding skills can craft about any repetetive code sequence using this technique.