Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motioncontroller

Revision Tracking

4 posts in this topic

I am sure I am in the wrong area to post this but here it goes........ We are a producer of equipment to the oil field and we have a number of units around the world. We provide our service technicians with laptops and the applicable software (GE-Proficy Machine Edition). A complete file package that goes with each unit consists of 5 different file types. (.zip, .csv, .bd1, .st1, .i2e) When our service techs send back a file that is supposedly updated we struggle with comparing every line of code that was previously issued to the unit with that of what the tech will send back. Our service techs are not dispatched from our main office they typically are local to the area they service. Are there any software packages out there that are able to compare or track revisions of files?

Look into a revision control package like Subversion (free). It allows you to check out/in versions of files at any save point. I use Tortoise as a Windows frontend. As far as file comparing, I'd use a package like UltraCompare. Apparently they even have a product that has integrated SVN support (it may be more tailored for software/source code). I've never used it though.

There is a piece of software you can test for 30 days free that might be the ticket. Look into Scooter Softwares Beyond Compare 2. it will perform a rules based binary compare of 2 files and display them in side by side frames. It is also intelligent enough to sync them up if you insert a line in one. Sound like it might do for your finding what changed phase.