Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffKiper

User localdrive access

5 posts in this topic

I am NOT computer savvy at all. I setup a new computer XP Pro SP2. 1 admin (me) 1 user (anybody else). I want some software to run for the user to do data logging for me. The problem is the users don’t have access to the local hard-drive. I would prefer for them to have write/view only permission. I don’t want them deleting the info. Does anybody know if this is a reasonable request? Or am I just wishful thinking? Thanks for your time.

I am not super savy either, but write access without delete access sounds like asking a lot of windows. Depending on the data you are logging an SQL Database or Access Database with a VB or VBA front end would very easily give you view and write without delete on data records.

The software I am using is for Banner Vision systems. It has a feature that will save some or all of the images that the camera takes. I am only interested in the bad pictures. The software has these filters built into it. Sorry for the confusion. I remenber that your IT created folders that had the add and look but no delete. That was on the darkside (server) world.

Hrm... Have you tried Right-click on your 'Desired Secure' folder, and selecting 'Sharing and Security' ? (Or just 'Properties' then the security tab?) You might be able to apply an 'advanced | Deny Delete' security block I can't actually test it, as every computer I deal with is on a domain.

Click Start -> My Computer Right click the drive and select properties Click on the Security tab Add away.....