Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blue182

Micrologix 1100 & RS Linx

7 posts in this topic

Hi I am having some serious problems trying to connect my laptop to a new Micrologix 1100, the cable I am using to connect is a 1761-CBL-PM02,SER.C. I have tried to communicate straight from the comms port on the laptop and through a USB adapter (1747-UIC) but have had no luck yet. I've read through the forum and one cure I read was to check the RS linx version as it needed to be 2.5 or above to communicate with the micrologix 1100, my version of RSLinx was 2.43, so I have now updated to 2.54, but still with the no communications issue. I also have a standard ethernet cable if this could be used! but I wouldn't know the settings to put in RSLinx to make this work. Any advise on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Jon.

I do not have an 1100 and have not played with the micros but can give you the broad strokes to get started ethernet wise. Step 1 - Physically Conenct the PC and Micrologix via ethernet. 1A - If using a straight ethernet cable you'll need two cables and a hub device. 1B - If using a cross-over cable you'll only need 1 and plug it direct PC to PLC. Step 2 - Allen Bradley Ethernet PLC's ship with BootP tuned on so you'll neee the BootP-DHCP Server which shipped with RSlinx installed on your PC. Start-Programs-Rockwell Software-BoothP DHCP Server. Step 3 - Open the BootP Server and follow the help files to choose an address for your 1100. Step 4 - Power Cycle your 1100 and use the DHCP Server to assign the address you chose for it. Step 5 - Use a command Prompt wuindow and Ping the IP of the 1100 and get an ok response Step 6 - Open Rslinx and under Communications - Configure Drivers add a new Ethernet Devices Driver. Be sure to add the IP address of the 1100 to the driver during the configure process. Step 7 - Open Rslinx RSwho and confirm you can see your new 1100. Step 8 - Go Online with your new 1100 using RSLogix and change the IP address to static or Fixed. Whatever they're calling it now. You are ready to program your new 1100. Hopefully someone else can answer your serial cable issue and if these steps cause you trouble please come back and let us know what your PC/PLC combination did and we'll guide you thru it.

A new ML1100's serial port will have a default setting of DF1 protocol. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. It will not communicate with your ML1100 unless its port is configured for DH485. If you don't have a real serial port on your PC then you will need a USB to RS232 adapter. ( Brand "Keyspan' works well for this. Get one at link below) http://www.plctrainer.net/ Edited by Mickey

Cheers chaps, managed to set up the ethernet port thanks to your instructions Boblfoot. Mickey thanks for your input, I was trying to set up comms to the ML1100 through the serial port and the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable but RSLinx was having none of it! I configured the driver but when it got to Auto-configuring the set up RSLinx froze, and I had to Shutdown RSLinx. Which could be a problem as I have to program some ML1500's soon!.. Thanks again it is a priveledge to be a member of this fantastic site..

You're welcome - Glad my "napkin sketch" could do the job. Hope that someday you can return the favor to another member.

I had to turn off one of my processors while flashing (ControlFlash) my Micrologix 1100. I have a Core2Duo processor and it caused comm issues using serial to flash the 1100. I don't know if rslinx itself has an issue with dual processors, but i used technote 39526 (ab knowledgebase) to get my serial comms working.

Just managed to sort out the serial comms issue i've been having. It ended up being the serial port itself not the AB comms lead or the ML1100! I went through the control panel-system-hardware-device manager, then right clicked to remove the comm1 serial port, rebooted the laptop, restarted RSLinx, reconfigured the DF-1 driver pressed the auto configure button and success auto configuration was successful. So, I've sorted the serial port comms issue and learnt quite a lot about ethernet configuration in the process, Oh and managed to make an ethernet crossover cable as well. Happy days