Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IamJon

Windows XP SP3?

22 posts in this topic

I seem to remember that it is not a good idea to install XP service pack 3 on a pc running rockwell software. Does anyone know the specific reason for this, or if maybe I'm wrong and SP3 runs fine? Thank you.

Really, it's not a good idea to install XP Service Pack 3, period :-P When I did it first, it removed some major system files and windows wouldn't load again, until I reinstalled it. But, once I got over those problems, RSLogix5000/RSLinx seem to work just fine...

that's what I thought. I seem to remember problems with SP3, but it was so long ago that i can't recall exactly what they were. All i know is that i've never seen a workstation at work with SP3. Thanks for the response.

Our network admin recently (a few weeks ago) deployed XP SP3 to all computers, including five I personally work with Rockwell products (RSLogix 5000, 500, and RSLinx Classic) on. So far none of us programmers have run into any issues. Good luck!

RSEmulate 500 falls over as soon as I try to connect via DDE. I contacted Allen Bradley support and they told me that there is “an issue” with RS Linx and XP SP3. He told me that the only resolution was to do a clean install of XP SP2 (roll back doesn’t work).

I just found out today that my desktop was auto updated to SP3. Now my 1747-PIC / AIC driver will not work. Fatal error initializing PIC device driver Rockwell site says "SP3 is not supported by Rockwell Software at the moment. For now the only cure is to uninstall Service Pack 3 and stay with SP2." I love Monday...

Let us know if you are able to roll back to SP2 Rob

What I've seen has been that the windows update version of SP3 is broken and will exhibit some of the problems you're all listing above. However, if you use the download version, it works fine. I don't know what the difference is, but that's the pattern we've been observing. I'm using SP3 here with 5, 500 and 5000 and they all work fine.

Interesting posts, all. I did download the full XP SP3 rather than allow Windows Update to do the job as I had two computers to install it on here at home. On the other hand, I regularly run RSLogix 500 and 5000 on another computer via remote desktop, and that one was updated via IT Dept. administered Windows Update. I'm not sure if it was the same as you would get on an non-centrally administered Windows Update or not. My experience is limited to RSLogix 500 & 5000 and RSLinx Classic--haven't tried any other Rockwell products on SP3 yet.

Kinda nervous about attempting it. Nobody here at work has ever done it. I have heard of it being done but have also heard some scary stories. I need to read up and lean a bit more before I kill my desktop. Any tips? Got this HERE! Edited by robh

I just got a call from my colleague at a customer's site. He is experiencing the same issue. Both of us have installed SP3 and he is attempting to unistall it now. Has anyone had any success rolling back?

Well I tried it and...still Fatal error initializing PIC device driver. Hmmmmmmm....Says that SP3 was fully removed. Left click on start-->right click on MY Computer-->left click on Properties and it says that I have SP2. Edited by robh

Now when I try to configure a new PIC driver it gives me the message "no more PIC devices allowed"? Going to try and re-install RSLinx. Ok, now its working. Went to Control Panel to remove RSLinx and there was an option to "change". Since linx is already installed it went into program maintenance mode. Selected "repair". Took about 5 seconds. Now it works. Edited by robh

Thanks for the feedback!

We got our PIC working again as well. We did the uninstall of SP3 by means of the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. In our case the RSLinx "Repair" was not necessary. This was a good thing considering our install CD was about 3 hours away. Consequences of the rollback have yet to be seen.

Can't wait for those!

The official SP3 removal. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Thats the one I used.

Sorry,I didn't see that.

I wasted two days Trying to understand why my desktop and laptop stopped being able to communicate threw 1747-PIC and the driver not able to load. I gave up and started some web searches and came across this forum. WOW I very much appreciate you taking the time to report your problem and cure. Roll back worked on my desktop, but my laptop the vote is still out. I might try to reload the SP2 over again.

Hello I am in the process of attempting to install XP SP3 to our RSLINX cimio machine. I have to install Matrikon to this pc and it will only work with XP SP3. I downloaded the KB936929-SP3-x86 version from the Microsoft website....... Update: Just successfully installed SP3.. PC rebooted and rslinx restarted with no issues. This pc is connected to a switch that our PLC's are also connected to. Rslinx is being used as an OPC server. After reading rslinx wouldn't work with SP3 here I was a little bit edgy to say the least. I am new to this so if any of my terminology is incorrect I apologize. This whole process makes me ask the question of why we are using windows xp to begin with instead of upgrading to windows 7 but I assume that everything has to be compatible and that could cost the company more money and downtime to upgrade all the software and possibly hardware.

This post is 4 years old. The only issue we experienced at that time was the use of the PIC box. We have since discarded the PIC and we are using the UIC for our DH485 connections. Our XP installations are now up to date with Microsoft and have no issues with RSLinx.