Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiwi Nate

C600 is soooooooo slow!

11 posts in this topic

Hey all, Having a play with the new cheap AB panelview c600, programming via ethernet using on board software, and man is it slow. I have searched high and low for a good half hour and cannot find PC based software. Just wondering if any of you fine chaps could point me in the right direction. The AB web site says its available, so i'll e mail them later if no luck from here. Many thanks NP whoa half an hour searching the wrong site!!! Found it about 8 posts down, ha ha

ok nah offline is still just as slow as on line! Its cost effective sure but dang, what the hell. Not a good first impression

Nate - not to dispute what you are finding, but curiosity mostly. The new PV and sofware use ethernet to program and every keystroke from PC must be sent over ethernet must be sent to PV and then back. if you can open an msdos promt and ping the PV. I'd be curious what your ping loop time is. You might also try opening Process Manager and raising priority of the programming task exe. Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Thanks Bob ping result 0ms priority set to high No noticeable improvement. Its the copy / paste and selection of multiple buttons that I am not enjoying. But I am of the "it should be instant" crowd, where I don't pay appreciation for a transfer of data between devices. I am a new to the programming scene after 4 years as a sparky so I have lots to learn. I will pass some feedback to the Rockwell distributor next time he drops in. Thanks Nathan

I have called and asked about the speed of the update time using Internet Explorer 7. I was told that the application of the Component PanelView HMI's were built on Firefox 2.0. The representative suggested that I use Firefox 2.0. He stated that they were unsure of Firefox 3.0 as it had not been tested. Hope this helps.

That's really interesting! I knew AB wasn't thrilled with IE7. Building this new application on Firefox 2 sounds like another step away from Microsoft. Has anyone tried it with Firefox 3 yet? Even if it hasn't been certified, I'd be interested in any preliminary tests.

Not with that particular hardware but as I write this on FF 3, FF 2 was a huge step back in terms of performance over 1.5. With FF 3, they've gained MOST of it back. It's still not as stable as I'd like but doing very well, worlds better than FF 2. It's back to being much faster than IE 7 (except for booting). Aside from that, the URL bar is much more useful in finding what you want in general (the google one is pretty much a clone of it in most ways). If you happen to hit a phishing site, it is VERY obnoxious about showing them, which is a good thing overall. Control over everything is also very good and the web site compatibility is much better. There shouldn't be any hiccups I can imagine between FF2 and FF3 in terms of compatibility. If anything, FF 3 tends to have fewer issues in this regard.

Paul are you OK? This late and you are online? I haven't seen you this late ever I think.

OK guys, heres the 411 PV C600 is fast as hell on firefox. Do not program this screen with IE Seems to work with FF 3.0, however it does warn of potential combatibility issues. Found none so far..... Cool as, thanks for the new browser recomendations Edited by Kiwi Nate

See RA Knowledgebase article 53717 - FF3 is not currently supported (use at your own risk?).

weird. for me IE is MUCH faster. I tried to do the same functions, drag and drop, copy and paste, move stuff around. FF locked up at one point when i tried to copy 16 objects at the same time. IE muddled right on through it. I am doing all this with the emulator. maybe there is a difference there...