Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scientific

Windows Based Step 5 problem

6 posts in this topic

Current I have a Step 5 / ST Basic Package Version 6.3 running on Windows XP Laptop. When I using this Laptop to transfer s5 program to PLC, not problem during tranferring, but the PLC cannot go to RUN mode (green light). If I using a PG 710 to transfer the same program to this PLC, then OK. Is it any setting problem on the windows based Step5?

I am impressed that you can have STEP5 v6.3 on an XP PC. I thought that you needed at least v7.23.Are you sure that the blocks are downloaded ? You can try to compare offline with online. To enter RUN mode, do you use the STEP5 for that, or do you use the switch on the CPU ? You can also investigate the ISTACK to know why the CPU wont enter RUN mode.

I'm using STEP5 v6.3 under XP DOS Command Prompt, any problem? Yes, I still can upload and download the blocks, even checking the program online status. I'm using the switch to turn ON the CPU to RUN mode. Edited by scientific

According to Siemens it must be v7.17+. Dont know if there are any problems with running v6.3 under XP. What does ISTACK say as to why it wont run ?

I am running V7.2 had issues with prior versions running on XP.

I agree with other posts, if you try to run V6.X or earlier with XP you will get problems, and the problems may not be predicatable. I still use V6.6 Step5, it seems to be the most stable and least buggy of all the recent offerings, and I get around the XP problem by having a bootable CD for my laptop, which boots to MS-DOS 6.22. I then have a small FAT patition at the end of my hard disk. I have tried setting up a dual boot option, but having followed the XP articles on it I have never managed to get it work as I want it to, so this approach is simple and gives me the same options. So I would try making an MS-DOS boot disk, (Floppy or CD) and running Step5 in MS-DOS on the same laptop, I suspect your problems will disappear.