Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omadamx

CompactLogix Ethernet Communications

9 posts in this topic

I have a CPU 1769-L35E which I want to use to communicate with an Atlas Copco Nutrunner to download the VIN number. Does someone have experience with a similar situation?. I would also like to know if I can open a port in server mode to 'listen' from an external device. Do I need an additional Ethernet card or CPU port is enough, I would expect the CPU be able to open several 'conversations' at a time. Thanks in advance for your answers.

On a job that I had done, the PLC sent over the torque information via Devicenet. The Atlas Copco controller had a devicenet adaptor built in. The Atlas guys told me specifically where to send over the part data of which they had the parameters programmed for the setpoints.

Don't have specific experience but let me see if I can lay out your problem by analogy. 1. Assume the PLC to machine communication is like driving. 2. This makes DeviceNet a motor scooter, ControlNet a motorcycle, Ethernet a Car and Profibus a Truck just to name 4 biggies. 3. Now Allen Bradley Ethernet is a Jaguar and Atlas Copco Ethernet is a Mercedes. Just like you can't take the motor computer from a JAG and run your Benz, you might not be able to communicate. However if they both need RainX for the windshield or in this case Ethernet/IP you might have the common ground you need. my advice check with Atlas tech Support.

I've done the same application with SLC500. In that project I had to add a ProSoft card because of the restrictions on the CPU's Ethernet port. Prosotf card has client and server capabilities to send/receive data (strings and numbers) over Ethernet. I've read that CompactLoqix can send and receive messages to other PLCs but I found nothing about third party devices. Serial port can be used to send and receive data from let's say barcode or that sort of devices. I want to know if the same applies for the ethernet port or an Ethernet card like 1761-NET-ENI. I don't feel like using Prosoft cards again and I want to exhaust this possibility first. Thanks guys for your feedback.

Depends strongly on the protocol on the Atlas Copco side of things. If you don't like Prosoft, then the alternatives (Digi IAP) won't look much prettier. Another possible option is using a Red Lion G series HMI since these things have lots of ways of building bridges. RS-232 is the best way to go usually if you need a "generic" protocol. If it's something like Modbus then there are bridges and other protocol conversions out there.

I guess then, the CPU ethernet port can only talk to its AB peers and there is no instructions in ladder to open a Telnet connection or similar to talk to other third party devices unlike the serial port. Am I right?

That's right. CompactLogix can only use the EtherNet/IP protocol suite to communicate with controllers, I/O, and HMI devices. There are no Telnet or Generic Socket interface functions on the built-in EtherNet/IP port on a 1769-L32E or -L35E controller. RA does have that functionality in the 1768-EWEB and 1756-EWEB web services module, but those can't be fitted to your particular CompactLogix controller. The MVI69-GEC might be your path to implementing this connection if your Atlas Copco tool doesn't offer the EtherNet/IP protocol stack.

Yes, but keep in mind that it isn't only capable of talking to AB devices. Ethernet/IP is an industry standard and any device that supports it can communicate with your CPU.

As stated above it is best to talk to Atlas Copco tech support and see what protocols they support. Then you will have a list you can compare to ABs capabilities. If you do not find a match between the two, do as paulengr suggested, find a device that can translate between the two.