Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roboteacher

Transfer my activation

8 posts in this topic

I have rslogix 5000 v16.03.00 (CPR 9). I am currently running it on my notebook and would like to transfer the lisence to my desktop. I would rather write my programs on my desktop and when I go into the field, transfer the lisence back to my notebook and work the files there. I tried to understand the factory talk but I just don't get it. I used the move in the older versions of logix 500 and figured it would be like that. Any help or direction would be great. Thanks

If you are using the old EVRSI licensing scheme, the only practical (but pain in the rear) way to legally do it is to juggle the license back and forth using EVMOVE and/or carrying the floppy master disk around with you. There are also countless not so legal methods which is the reason that Rockwell went to the FTA (FactoryTalk Activation) scheme. There are two types of licenses: Concurrent, and node locked. If you don't specify/buy the concurrent one up front, you get node locked. With a concurrent license, when you activate the license on a PC, that PC is a server. On the second machine, you can add the server PC as a license source in the FactoryTalk control screen by adding a license directory, but you use the name "@server" for the "directory". The concurrent license for Logix 5000 is only available in the "Full" version and no others at this time. You do not have to have both machines on the network 24/7. You can tell the "client" machine to "borrow" the license and then return the licenses later right from the list of available licenses. If you don't return the borrowed license within the time limit, the license expires and reappears on the server. The "lease limit" is supposed to be adjustable but at least with Logix 500 and 5, it is not adjustable at this time. If you have a node locked license, there is still hope. When you activate the software, you have 3 choices of "devices" to lock the license to: your hard drive, your CPU, and a USB key that AB sells for a nominal (<$100) price. If you have the USB key, then you can install and activate the software on any number of machines. Whichever machine has the USB key will have an active license. Just moving the USB key from machine to machine moves the license. Only one machine can have a license at a time obviously.

Has anyone used the USB key? Once you start the program and the USB key unlocks it, can you remove the key and continue to use it? I'm not thinking about opening it on one, then putting it in another computer to open another copy. I'm thinking that the USB dongle or the slot your putting it in will get broke if your working on site and hit it on something

As noted by TW the use of a USB stick is perfect for this. I have both a desktop and laptop with Logix 500 V8.00, Logix 5000 V16.00. and View 5.00. The licences for these applications are all on a USB stick. Want to use the laptop...... insert stick... start application and then remove stick. Want to use the desktop....insert stick... start application and then remove stick. Rockwell DEFINITELY does not like this...... would prefer I buy individual licenses. If you still have master disk activations this is one way to go....... beats the hassle of Factory Talk Activations.

Yeah.. but.. Haven't we officially come to The End Of The Road, for EVRSI activation? Aren't they finally living up to the threat they've been issuing for the last several years, and the latest versions finally are not recognizing EVRSI?

I guess that means I'm pretty much dead as far as running on my desktop. When I activated, I did it on my notebook. I just think this stinks.

Not yet? See link below. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?...mp;postcount=12

Since you want to be able to frequently switch between working on your desktop and laptop: 1. Get the USB dongle from Rockwell 2. Use a master disk in your desktop. We have a similar situation. We have the license installed on a laptop, but I can use an older RSLogix5000 master disk (even though the license is already removed from it) to allow me to run it on my desktop. This is perfectly legal as long as you don't run both of them at the same time. 3. Use the license server arrangement as described by TW. Paul Edited by OkiePC