Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

RS View Studio After Runtime Download, no Exit Button

13 posts in this topic

This is really annoying... Does anyone else have this problem? RS View Studio 4.00.00 (cpr 7) When I am using the transfer utility, and I download a runtime to a Panel View+, sometimes after the complete download, the EXIT BUTTON never comes back. It's disabled. So now I can not shut down the transfer utility window. I got nothing in the KB search, 33 answers under RS View ME Studio but none of them deal with this problem. The only way I can exit the transfer utility window is a three finger, end task. Which kills RS View Studio as well and I have to restart it. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

I've seen RSView Studio do a lot of things, but not that. Does it make a difference if you don't do the "Run after download" selection ? How often, percentagewise, does this happen ? Are all the PV+ terminals the same firmware version ? My guess is that the transfer tool isn't getting a confirmation of the completion of the *.MER file transfer and so it's just waiting.

chakorules, I think you should be getting a confirmation pop up window with an OK.It will say somthing like "download was completed sucessfuly". After you click on the "OK" button, then the "Exit"should be available. Could the little confirmation window be Poppng up underneath your main window un-noticed? BD

It's kind of sporadic. I do get the window, sometimes. But I am sure when I don't get it, it's not hidden. I've done ALT-TAB plenty of times hunting for that window you speak off...I wish I could find it

I saw this quite a lot before (complete with the 3 finger salute) but it was mainly when I also has RSLogix500 and possibly something else open on a laptop with an insanely low amount of memory (256M on XP). Have added a reasonable amount (2 G) I no longer get this. Though it may just be a coincidence.

I am doing pretty good. I don't think it's a PC problem. It could be if no one else is experiencing it. I am running 4G of ram with Windows XP Pro SP2.

Been there and seen that......... this did seem to be a re-occurring problem with V4.00. Laptop and desktop (XP Pro) had same problem downloading to a PV1500+. And yes the pop-up window does not exist. It seemed as previously noted that the transfer program is not receiving the end of transfer bit so it waits..... although when I reloaded the MER file on the PV the updated file was there. Another Rockwell mystery. Have now updated to V5.00... no probs so far... Edited by Guided_monkey

Hey....I am not alone... welcome to the club. I have not upgraded to V5.00 yet because V4.00 has been the most stable copy I've run and I've been happy with that so I've been holding off. Except for this download problem. But if that's the case, I guess I'll have to jump ship.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I experience the same problem with V5 with the same frequency. I usually just kill it from the task manager and go on with my work. I've gotten too used to the bugs in Rockwell software... It has been a while since I downloaded to a panelview, but I think if you turn off the 'Run application when the download completes' checkbox you will get more success. It means you have to go and load the app from the screen, though.

dang... here I was thinking/hoping that AB had fixed the problem.

Maybe they don't know it's a problem yet. I can't find anything in the KB about it. But what we can do is try and collect information about why. Like the information Ken is asking about. I'll try and give what I know.

I too have experienced the same problem, sometimes it works good sometimes it doesnt. have also had problems too when Using the ver 5.00 software (Factory Talk) and creating the runtime file in ver 4.00 format that a couple times I have lost buttons etc. in the conversion or what ever.

Ok took me awhile to test all this. Here is what I got: Panel View Plus 700 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.03.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 700 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.08.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 600 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.04.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 600 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.04.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 600 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.04.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 700 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.09.60 (CPR7) Panel View Plus 600 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.10.60 (CPR7) I tried to download to atleast each of the firmwares above 3 times each. Out of those 3 times, I got the no exit button at least once, sometimes all three times, but then I would keep trying up to 7 times and it finally worked. I tried to on various occasions, disable the Run on Download. The first time I tried it, on the: Panel View Plus 700 (ME v3.10 - v4.00) 4.00.09.60 (CPR7) I got no exit button. Then the next time I tried it, it worked. Then I checked the box Run on Download, and I got the OK prompt box. Basically, I can't nail it down, it's all over the place what it's doing and I can't replicate a pattern. I dunno what that means at this point other than, I can define a sure fire, this is what causes it, and if I do it this way it doesn't do it anymore.....