Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaTT Divel

Clearing an Array in RSLogix 5000

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an array: TAG1[0] to TAG1[100] for example. In a certain condition i want to clear all the array. With the instruction CLR, i can only clear once at a time or i don't know how to clear all in once instruction. So that way i wold need like 100 CLR instructions. The other option that I though is to use a FOR loop with one CLR instruction, but I'm sure there is an easiest way to do it, but I don't know how. Let me know if you have an idea please. Your help will be appreciated. Edited by MaTT Divel

You can create a UDT to contain the boolean array and use FLL on the tag of the UDT type.

Not sure what is a UDT. But if i use the FLL with those operands: Source = 0, Dest = TAG1[0], Length = 100. Do you think it could work? Because i dont have the PLC here and can't test it online. thanks for your fast reply.

Yes, the FLL instruction will work and is the best option.

The answer to this question depends somewhat on the type of data which TAG represents. Can you provide more information?
1 person likes this

Create a blank tag array (no data, all zeros) with the same dimensions of the tag array you want clear. then Copy the blank tag array to the one you want to Clear.

That would be the best solution. COP instructions don't always execute in one scan (but the CPS instructions do). They also take a LOT more time than a FLL, not to mention the wasted memory of creating a blank copy. If you wish to clear a UDT, there is a neat trick where you do a FLL with source of zero, destination is the UDT tag, and a length of 1. I'm not sure if it matters what revision of firmware you have, but it works with 15 or higher for me.

This is incorrect statement, COP will always execute completely before going to the next instruction, exactly same as CPS. The only difference is that CPS guarantee data integrity. Take a look at TN 50235 that is written buy one of the lead controller engineers- it explains in details how it works.

Just wanted to highlight the following of technote 50235. Step 4 is the actual copying of the data
1 person likes this

PUISSANCE_MESUREE_EC_23 <normal> REAL[16] Standard Float Tableau de la puissance mesurée normalisée, station de tests finaux EC23 This is what i have in my controller tags sheet. The tag is a REAL[16]. so i'll try it with the FLL because i have 7 differents tag like that to clear, so it will be way faster with the FLL instruction instead of using 16 CLR for each of those tags. thanks for your reply

Thanks for the corrections, I'll have to mention this to the guy who told me otherwise.

Don't thank me, thank Contr_Conn. I had always wondered what the true functional difference between the COP and the CPS instruction was, he pointed us to the right technote

I think this is the best explanations that I saw for COP/CPS instruction functionality as well as UID/UIE. Recently one of my customers experienced short time local I/O connection loss while using CPS instructions with very large arrays of internal tags. I was told to check this technote and replacing CPS with UID/COP/UIE resolved the issue. Edited by Contr_Conn