Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_rock

using directplc and winplc with think and do

5 posts in this topic

has anyone had any experience with a directplc winplc and think and do. if so could you explain. thanks

I have used the WinPLC and Think and Do (now called Entivity Studio) in many applications. What questions do you have?

did you happen to do any type of relational data base project with the winpc? Also, did you have a direct plc display? have a project where i am using a advantech industrial pc panel running win2000 and visual studio.net for the hmi screens and ianywhere for the relational database and beckhoff I/O modules. The I/O modules are connected to the advantech panel through eternet connection.. Looking at still using the advantech pc and a small automation direct type pc to run the actual controls and communicate between the direct plc and advantech panel either with a ethernet connection or usb. Or possibly using a standard hmi type screen from automation direct and the winpc, but not quite certain if it can run a relational database application. Any advice Thanks

The WinPLC can not directly access a DB such as "MS Access". There is however a software package from Interworx that will allow the WinPLC to do this. See link below. Interworx DW WinPLC Professional v2 I am currently evaluating this for a future project. I have several WinPLC that use the EZTouch as a HMI. Now, I am running a Studio project on an Advantech PPG153-T and it uses a MS Access DB directly. I have several hundred parts with their respective specs and setup data stored in my DB. The operator can load the data from the DB or modify data in it. They can also add new parts or delete old ones. Studio has SQL blocks that allow you to perform DB functions from your flow charts. Studio has built in HMI capabilities. If you are planning on using the PC I would opt to go with a runtime license of Studio. It is a bit pricier than the WinPLC but may be worth it in that it has the DB functions and HMI screens. Hope this helps and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

I have used several winplcs with EZ-touch screens. These work very nicely. I really like flowcharts better than ladder. I have tried to collect data using OPC, both on 5.x and 6.x WinPLC units. I had great success for a few days, then an intermittent problem came up that locks up the TnD OPC Server. I'm still not sure what the problem is but it is definitely something between the OPC Server and the WinPLC. I have two installations of TnD 6.x on a Dell that involve using MS Access databases. I had alot of trouble with these using the SQL blocks. I ended up writing a go-between program in MS Visual Studio using the nTag control. I also do the same on some old 5.x installations. I have not used the new Entivity 7.x. I have heard that the OPC and the SQL is better in this version. I just haven't tried it. Too many problems in the past, and I don't like the cost. I am also investigating using Dataworx to collect data from the WinPLCs. I do agree if you have alot of database work then it would be best to use the full blown Entivity 7.x instead of the WinPLC. Hope this helps!