Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sikenga

Changes Control

9 posts in this topic

Well, we need to find the better way to control the changes in a group of PLC´s (a big group of PLC´s), and we are thinking of install Factory Talk from Allen Bradley but i dont know if this aplication have the option to connect with other systems inclusive with Siemens PLC´s. Who can talk me about the providence of Factory Talk in this case. Rewards.

Maybe look at GE Proficy Change Managment system. This supports multi vendors.

FactoryTalk Asset Centre is the name of the software AB sells. It's about $5,000 for the basic system. It has a copy of RS-Linx Gateway built in. The first thing you have to do is to get rid of all other copies of RS-Linx so that everyone must access the system through FT. This is how it controls PLC programming access. If you don't have permissions according to FT, then you can't access the PLC (since it controls the only copy of RS-Linx). It does support some ways to at least partly get around some obvious limitations such as letting you check out temporary copies of PLC programs and allowing temporary (time limited) RS-Linx access on your local laptop if you need to access a remote project. Beyond that, it is a document control system on ANY document. So you can load things like Siemens PLC program files into it, drawings, graphics, HMI files, or anything else you can dream up. To get access to the file, someone has to "check it out" and "check it back in". This is typical of any revision control system. It also logs everything that is going on and you can easily browse the logs. The access control is to the files stored in the FactoryTalk system. It doesn't have 100% control over the PLC's like it does for AB PLC's. AB claims that they are going to be expanding it. They already support at least backups and document control of Motoman and Fanuc robots. Don't let the "asset tags" thing confuse you. This is strictly for automated backups. If you pay another $5,000, you can get the "disaster recovery" feature. This system automatically scans all the PLC's in your network and automatically updates the master copies of all the software. Then in the event that something goes wrong, you can tell it to auto-restore the entire plant, or go back and look at changes that have been happening over time. You need one asset tag for each automatic backup.

Well, i have been reading and the GE option it looks like a good option but i cant see clear wich one its the apropiated, wich one have that i need, we have 13 production cells, and maybe have around 20 PLC's (80 % allen bradley), and some systems more like HEUF Inspectors, danfoss frec. Variators and all of those systems we need to include in the changes management system. Somebody have to worked with those softwares? And can talk me the benefits in the GE and AB Case? Instead i have no enougth information about how can factory talk help us...

Here is a link to some Proficy Change managment advertising material http://www.gefanuc.com/Downloads/en/profic...heet_gfa311.pdf I have worked on site (medium size aprox 40 PLCs, multi vendor) where this was used. worked well. No fumbling around for latest copy of PLC/HMI files. This was used to track controlled PLC files also (pasteurisers). No experience with Factory Talk change managment. Im sure it would work great with AB software, not sure if it would play nice with S7, Automation Direct, Unity, etc, etc though. Give your local rep a call on this one

If you're not using the PLC-specific features of the software, then any revision control system (document control system) will work. I'd suggest considering Git (used for Linux, X, and several other large projects), or Subversion (popular for a variety of systems). Even a "window-ized" version of CVS would do the job. As to non-AB PLC specific documents...FT Asset Centre works just as good as the others. Your local AB rep shouldn't have any trouble getting you a demo and such. The system is a folder tree where you store your various documents ("assets"). An object in a folder can be a simple document, a directory, a PLC (with the associated files), a robot (with the associated files), or pretty much anything else. It's the fact that it is so flexible that makes reading FT's documentation very tough going. It becomes very obvious once you've used it. But the backend part of it (direct PLC interfacing) is what makes it far more than GE's change management system. Edited by paulengr
1 person likes this

Ok...and them wich one its the better way to manage the changes based in a multi system, multi vendor, multi technology, Enviroment and with the best performance.???