Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanled

Moving from 200 series to 300's

5 posts in this topic

I have been using 200 series for some time now, and was thinking about moving up a notch due to larger more complex projects. Is there a big difference in the programming? with microwin and step 7. Any pointers/help would be great.

They are totally different animals. S7-200 was initially developed by Texas Instruments and Siemens finished it off. S7-300/400 are 100% Siemens. The programming software is completely different. Try the link and download some manuals: Siemens Tech help area

Many thanks for that I feel so much better now!

I agree with groo, also there is no way that I am aware of to import even basic ladders from 200 - 300 or reverse, so if you have a libary of functions, as most of us do, you are going to have to rewrite them. I would say that its like going to a different make of PLC, they havnt even attempted to keep the programming enviroment consistent. This was where S5 really scored, using the same language and tools for 100U to 155U, and why in some ways S7 was a step back.

I believe that was to allow easy conversion of programs from S5 to S7. You can of course use the IEC Timer FB's that are in the library, which use simple numbers as presets. These can also be embedded of course in the FB's and become part of the Instance DB's.