Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tashinz

create opc server

11 posts in this topic

I am desperate now. I have a PC computer with installed step 7 v5.4 and simatic NET software (opc server v6.4). the other guy made a step 7 project containing simatic 300 station. I need to set up OPC server, re-use all symbols from this step 7 project so I can later connect the CX-Supervisor on this OPC. This PC is my office PC with only ehternet card. simatic 300 plc has only the DP module for communicating with the distributed peripherial I/O devices (all of them has IM 153-1 module) and MPI port on the cpu module. how can I use these already defined symbols from step 7 in simatic net opc? please help. i was digging the commisioning PC stations and still don't know how to acomplish this task. i realized from this manual that i need cp interface (like mpi adapter) on my pc if i want to configure opc server? please. anyone.

Hi, I can't tell you if there is an automatic way of transferring Step 7 symbols to your OPC server (I have no experience with OPC's) but I've seen my coleague making such project and I remeber that he was using an MPI/Profibus <-> Ethernet adapter, clled S7-LAN, from INEEE company. If you have only MPI port on your CPU and only Ethernet port on PC then you can try one of these devices to connect PC to S7-300. Should work. If you won't find any way of transferring symbols you can always define them manually in OPC I think. I can't help more cause my knowledge is limited to what I've seen once :) I haven't done it myselve. With regards

Thanx on response. As I understood it, you friend HAD such a hardware S7-LAN right? My question is, is it possible to create opc project based on step 7 project (reusing symbols mainly) WITHOUT any hardware that is defined in step 7 project (where the simatic 300 station and PC station are defined communicating through MPI - now, that is what the config will be on the site, but now in the office I don't have any hardware, just software)? so far, i realize that it is not possible to create opc without hardware that is in the project. hope i am wrong. thank you very much on the response. Edited by tashinz

Hello tashinz, This S7-LAN converter is a plug that you connect to PLC just like programming cable. You don't define it in Step7 configuration! :) This converter has it's own software that need to be installed on your PC. It behaves like router or something like this. You sets him its own IP adress and you communicate with him through LAN. Software creates a virtual COM port in your Windows. You use this COM as communication port. In other words, it's like MPI/DP -> COM converter through LAN! You don't need to do any changes in your PLC. You have to plug this converter to PLC, connect it (using ethernet cable) to the nearest factory router, give the converter an IP adress on factory's server and connect your PC to factory's Local Area Network. Then you use converter's software to search for this IP and assign him to Virtual COM port. And simply speaking, that VCOM is your PLC. Now in Step7 PC/PG interface you sets this VCOM and you can programme your PLC through ethernet :) The same way you connect it to OPC on your PC, I think. It don't have to be this particular INEE converter. There are many others, this one is one of the simplests. I've seen also ACCON-NetLink-PRO fro DELTALogic. If there is someone reading this post that know something from practise about OPC's, please give us your opinion and clarify where I'm wrong. With regards byrol

Do you need an OPC Server with real data coming from the Simatic NET software, or do you need a disconnected OPC Server that simulates the Simatic NET OPC Server? I'll throw a few different problem/solution matches, because I don't have a grasp on your exact issue: First, to get a full loadout of your OPC tags from your existing OPC Server, you can use MatrikonOPC's Explorer. It's a free tool that you can use to connect to, browse, add, and export all the tags from your existing OPC Server. 1. Need simulated data from a test OPC Server so you can build your screens/logic. -MatrikonOPC Simulation Server can be configured to have a tag loadout that is similar to your existing OPC Server http://matrikonopc.com/products/opc-driver...ion-server.aspx -MatrikonOPC Chameleon can be configured to look EXACTLY like any OPC Server that you have, and will simulate data. http://matrikonopc.com/products/opc-deskto...-chameleon.aspx 2. Need real-time OPC access to S7-300 via MPI. -MatrikonOPC's Server for Siemens S7-300 can import data block symbols from Siemens Step 7 projects into the server. You can access the S7-300 via MPI through a Hilscher Netlink-MPI adapter. http://matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/1330/index.aspx Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

so, it is not possible to create opc project on pc without the hardware used to connect s7-300? on my table in the office, there is no plc, no future pc which will be running opc. i tried the following: in step7 project i added the ethernet module to the s7-300 (cp-something) and configured pc to be networked with s7-300 through ethernet network since the pc has ethernet card. on the opc server module of the simatic pc station right click - there is option insert new connection. select it, that is s7_connection1, and configured it to be from ethernet card of the pc to the ethernet module of the s7-300. downloaded to the pc station (which is this office pc). Then, with opc scout I was able to browse symbols from step 7 project. but, when this is reconfigured to the real on the site (no ethernet but MPI) will it work?

Ahhh, test environment is using Ethernet to the S7 (a CP343 or something like it), and the live environment will be using MPI. Now I understand. Just off the top of my head, the tagname/syntax may change, but you'd be best off asking your OPC Server vendor about that. The MatrikonOPC Server can talk to both the Ethernet card (CP343) as well as MPI (over the Hilscher Netlink-MPI), but I'd have to talk to someone more technical than myself to see if the tagname/syntax would be the same.

thanx on reply very much. opc server vendor is siemens, it's a simatic net software. didn't i mention it? Edited by tashinz

Hi tashinz. First, you need to add at least a CP343-1 LEAN to the S7-300 station if it does not have ethernet already. Second, you need an OPC server, one possibility is SIMATIC SOFTNET ETHERNET LEAN. It is very easy to setup the symbols to be included in the OPC server (there is a setting "use symbols", that is all). But you need the original complete STEP7 project as this is where the symbols are declared. An alternative to SIMATIC NET software is Kepware for example: http://www.kepware.com/Spec_Sheets/Siemens...IPEthernet.html But I do not know if it is possible to import the symbols from the STEP7.

Hi JasperMP, this is exactly what I did, added ehternet module to s7-300 configuration in step 7 (the tool is NetPro i think), and in pc station i added opc server v6.4, and application. then create a connection for opc etc, and chose all symbols in opc object properties. i see the symbols now when i use some opc client, like opc scout and also cx-supervisor. my question is, since on the site s7-300 doesn't have ethernet module (only profibus dp) and it will communicate with pc station with opc server through MPI (so pc station has the adapter for MPI), will this configuration of opc in my office, with ethernet, work when I migrate it to the on-site hardware (i.e. pc and real plc). thank you P.S. all this confusion in my head is for me being omron user. to create omron cx-server opc project you just need a .cdm file with symbols and it is very easy to create it from any existing cx-programmer project (plc project). no need for any hardware for any part of opc setup. with siemens, step 7 cannot export symbols to sti file which opc server can import. that's why you need to create a configuration. Edited by tashinz

What is important is that you setup a STEP7 project with both PLC and PC hardware and software exactly as it will be like in the end. Only in this fylly specified way can the connection and symbols be generated.So yes, you will get the same symbols on both PCs. By the way, I hope that the "MPI adapter" is a CP5611 or a CP5621. You cannot setup a PC station with the serial or USB "PC adapter", and thus also not have OPC with the serial or USB "PC adapter".