Chris Elston

Rockwell Automation Tech Connect and Knowledgebase Copyrights

20 posts in this topic

I wanted everyone to be aware of a recent change from Rockwell Automation. You may already be aware that RA now requires you to have a tech connect contract to view certain protected documents in the RA knowledge base. If you are helping another member and referencing documents in the knowledgebase, here are a few pointers. What is ALLOWED is to post a link to the tech connect document in your post. You can point the user to the correct document they need to help them. If the user you are helping has a knowledge base account, and the document is not protected by tech connect, they will be able to read it. If the document is protected, and they do not have a tech connect contract, well there is not much we can do to help. What is NOT ALLOWED any more is the direct attachment of the PDF, DOC, or any other form of direct copy and paste of the document you found to help the user. Basically at that point, you the poster, and we MrPLC are hosting copyrighted material. What you ARE ALLOWED to do is read the document, and in your own words paraphrase what you read. This way we aren't copyrighting the information. Explain the information in your own words to help the user. I know this requires more effort on the "helper" in this case and it would be easier to attach the PDF to the post and be done with it. I know this is a pain. One other option is we are pondering the idea of some agreement with Rockwell and MrPLC, I personally haven't come up with any suggestions yet. If you have a good agreement or marketing trade off idea that you think is a good sell to Rockwell that can benefit us both, PM me. Rockwell knows our intentions, "helpers on the site", and moderators are GOOD, we mean no harm and that we want to help people in need. They have just asked us to follow their new rules. Mind you this is a recent change, though we haven’t really enforced it much until now with the recent change to tech connect contracts required. I hope you all understand we aren't keeping anything away from the users, we just have to now watch closer any protected copyright information we accidentally post. Protected now with the recent change in the Tech Connect required to view certain support documents in the knowledge base. If your a new user asking for help, you can help us by doing two things: 1. Sign up a FREE Rockwell Automation knowledge base account. 70% of the links posted, you just need to sign in, and you can download and read the document. 2. Pay for a Tech Connect contract and link it to your free knowledgebase account. Then you should be able to see anything anyone links to. Thanks for reading.
4 people like this

Good God - RA Lawyers must have had a field day! I'm glad to see that you at MrPLC are doing your best to be accommodating. I would have thought that Rockwell would appreciate help disseminating their content. Edited by Nathan
1 person likes this

I am just thankful Chakorules has to deal with the RA Lawyers and not me.
2 people like this

Makes me wonder if they've moved their headquarters from Milwaukee to Beijing :)
2 people like this

Highly unlikely - Prevailing thought in Beijing is that all creative works belong to "the people". Ownership and copyright are Western ideas so I am told.
2 people like this

You would think that they would be more grateful for MrPLC carrying the load for all these years since they didnt have a forum! They owe you folks a pass!
2 people like this

The KB service is viewed as a profit center. Firms like mine who integrate systems pay for a set of licenses and access to the KB. Past benefit from MrPLC is just that, in the past as far as RA is concerned. While they still have a large part of the NA market, the total value that can be had from other suppliers is slowly cutting into that market and once lost, it is really tough to regain customers. There are many rumors that so far have been only that, rumors, about being sold. A change of ownership might redirect the company to be more customer service oriented but any large entity takes a lot of effort to change. There are MANY great people in RA who want to provide great services but that doesn't always translate into profit and that is what every company has as its first goal. Quantifying how giving some info away today will add to sales down the road is not very easy while charging $$ today is. You have to remember that RA provides system integration services (I was one part of that group) and if RA helps people like us, it can cut into their services business. One part of RA wants many SIs using their equipment and increasing hardware sales while another part of RA wants to get rid of thier competition and provide design services for their equipment. That tug-of-war is on going. We are just in the mud inbetween. Russ
1 person likes this

Well said Russ - sort of remind me of that famous passage "Don't let your Right Hand know what the Left is doing"
1 person likes this

they're stupid thats all.....its makes no business sense in any way shape or form (no it does not actually generate more revenue).....what it does do is make some small portion of the managerial staff look important and effective....short term.....sorta like mortage lenders at the banks giving loans to those how can't afford them..... I can fault AB but their stuff and documentation is still guite a bit better than the competition...... bob
2 people like this

Hi, How much we have to pay for a Tech Connect contract ? Thanks

The price of the contract depends on your installed base of controllers and which product categories you are buying support for. Tech Connect contracts are always purchased through your Rockwell Automation distributor, who has a website they use to price up your contract based on what products you own. It can be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few hundred thousand. Give your Rockwell Automation distributor a call.
1 person likes this

Tech Connect is one of those things in life that you just hate with a passion, wish it would go away, can't stand the thought of needing it.......Until after you do it!!!! There it "Swimming Up Stream" and there is "Going with the Flow". Pick your battles wisely, life has a limited shelf life!

could you tell me the difference between generic module and and on profile

Sir i have join the Automation company.

How i am learn new update?

This is an OLD topic.  You are encouraged to start new topics to get the best responses possible.

You need help with FactoryTalk View 8 for "global parameters and parameters passing".  Your question is vague.  Can you specify what your task or issue is?

Specifically are you needing help with FTView Machine Edition (ME - for A-B HMI applications) or FTView Site Edition (SE - for PC-based applications)?  They are different software packages, thus features and functions may be different.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewme-um004_-en-e.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewse-um006_-en-e.pdf

As of 2017, Rockwell  is currently  working on a new website to be more user friendly as I am a beta tester for that site. I attended  Rockwell TechEd 2017 and this is where is was first brought  to light. 

As far as Knowledgebase goes,  Tech connect contracts will remain the same but the users ablilty to find information  will be much better. 

Please let me know if you would like me to give more info on this matter. 

Thanks 

Shane Welcher founder of OnlinePLCSupport.com

Sir, can we disable power down of electricity from major fault of plc rslogix. Because i need to download the plc every time i got power down

On 12/22/2018 at 7:10 AM, Gin freeks said:

Sir, can we disable power down of electricity from major fault of plc rslogix. Because i need to download the plc every time i got power down

You should start a new topic. When you do that, include the model number of the PLC.

1 person likes this