Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nxs15

communication config RSLinx

12 posts in this topic

hello I'm running RSLogix500 ver. 7.3010 with RSLinx Classic ver. 2.53.00.05 and having some problems with connecting to my SLC5/03. I am running Vista on my PC which I dont think is supposed to be compatable with my version of RSLogix, but I can use it to write the program without any errors. However, when i try to connect connect to the PLC I get the following message: "Configuring the setting direclty to a Linx Gateway is not allowed. Add a new TCP driver ("Remote Devices via Linz Gateway") in RSLinx Classic, and then select your path through this driver." I tried doing what it says but im not exactly sure how to "select your path through this driver." I created the new driver and put the name of my serial driver(AB_DF!-1) into the Remote driver name field, but the PLC doesnt show up under this driver. So is this just because my version isn't compatible with Vista or will O run into this same problem once i get the new ver 8.0(which i think is vista compatable). Unfortunately, I dont have the support contract at the moment to get 8.0. any ideas? thanks

How are you trying to connect to the SLC5/03? What cables are you using, what drivers are you trying to use. Your SLC5/03 supports DH485 on its DH485 port and DF1 or DH485 on its RS232 port. Tell us more about your physical connection.

Im using the allen bradley serial cable(1747-CP3, ser. A) and the RS-232 DF1 device driver. In the RSWho window it shows my PC and the PLC under the DF1 driver but I get the error in the above post when trying to connect to it in RSLogix. so in trying to follow the directions in that error I: 1. configured a new driver-selecting "Remote Devices via Linx Gateway" in the "available driver types" drop down menu 2. clicked Add New button 3. I added the name of the DF1 driver, default name was AB_DF1-1, to the "Remote drivername" field in the configure window this didnt work

Make sure your serial port is not being locked by any other application. Also, if you are using a USB to serial adapter (since most new pcs do not have serial ports built in) make sure you have the correct port number in your configuration.

Confused, your error message is about an ethernet driver. Try, see link and pdf below and see if that helps. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?...amp;postcount=9 rslinx_setup_serial.pdf

I just tried connecting from another PC running XP and it worked so I guess this must just be a Vista problem. the only reason Im using the serial cable is that I havent figured out how to set it up to work with an ethernet cable Edited by nxs15

The SLC5/03 does not have an ethernet port its a DH485 port. Do not plug it in to your PC's ethernet port. ( if thats what you were going to do.) You will damage your PC/Laptop. To use the DH485 port you need a 1747-PIC or a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) See PDF's below 1747PIC.pdf 1747_UIC_1.pdf Edited by Mickey

In fact, it isn't even accurate to call that an ethernet port. It does use an RJ45 connector just like the ones that are used for ethernet, but the RJ45 connector has been used for many, many different things over the years. 10/100BaseT ethernet and DH485 are just a couple of them. I don't think I would go so far as to say that anything would be damaged by plugging an ethernet cable into the DH485 port (believe me.. lots of people have tried it!) but you sure wouldn't be able to communicate.

Typo, I meant to say The SLC5/03 does NOT have a ethernet port. The chance of damage is there because of the 24 volts DC that is present on the SLC's DH485 port. Edited by Mickey

I got it working now. I deleted the harmony.rsh file. I did upgrade to version 8 of rslogix so I dont know if it will work with earlier versions.