Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mach390

Module configured, but not available

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a CPU317-2 as a master with a CP343-1 for communications. Most of the slaves are CP342 5DA02 0XE0 with a weigh modual and a C7-613. Last week one of my CP 342-5 would not go into run, but I have got it into run since. When this happened I got a bus fault on 3 of the slaves. There is not a problem with the cableing and they all worked before. I have tried downlaoding my hardware configuration again, but the module's are still not available. In the Status it says module configured, but not available and that there is a mismatch. I have not change any of the hardware or configuration so I am wondering how there is a mismatch? Any ideas? Thank you.

The "actual/preset configuration mismatch" is a cryptic way to say that the DP master cannot see the DP slave(s). Why are you so sure that there is no problem with the cabling ? Best bet is that there is a problem from the last "good" slave to the first "bad" slave, or the first "bad" slave itself. If you have a CP5511/CP5512/CP5611, you can investigate the diagnostics and deirectly see if the slaves are reachable.

I have run a new piece of cable across the floor from the last good slave to the first bad slave and there is still a bus fault. My local distributor told me to switch SD cards on two of the slaves when I was having trouble getting the one to go into run. This didn't work but I did get the one slave to finally go into run mode, do you think when I switched the cards had anything to do with it?

That is far too little information for me to say anything. Are you talking about the CP342-5 stations ? To my knowledge they do not have any SD cards. Now, I suggest that you bypass everything up to the first bad slave and connect from you CPU directly to the first slave after the first bad slave. If that goes OK, it tells you that it is a problem with cabling/connectors, the last good slave, or the first bad slave.

I have a C7-613 (this has the SD card) and a weight module that uses the CP342-5 to send the batch weights to the CPU (317-2). I do not have enough cable to run from the CPU to the first bad slave as I would need well over 100 feet (34 meters) to make the conections, but I have tried running new cable from the last good slave to the first bad slave, but I still get the same result. There are 3 slaves not communicating and I have all but the first bad slave off the network.

What you have done is just to check the cable (by replacement), and only between the last good to the first bad slave. All other kinds of problems are unchecked. Then try to bypass only the first bad slave. Connect from the last good to the slave immediately after the first bad slave. Do you have a CP5511, CP5512 or CP5611 ?

I do not have a CP5511, CP5512 or CP5611. I am not sure what you mean with the cable. There are about 20 slaves in a row and the last 3 are giving me problems, so I connected my new cable into the "out" of the existing plug on the last good slave. I then have the other end going to the first bad slave with the resistor on and no other cables connected. Shouldn't this eliminate any other cable issues?

Yes, there is probably no cable issue between the last good and the first bad slave. Like I said, you have tested that part now. If you bypass the bad slave and go to one of the slaves after that, and it does work, then you know that there is a hardware problem with the bad slave. And that can be in the connector or the CP module. So, to narrow it down further, you can start to swap hardware (including cables and connectors) and see if the problem follows the hardware. Without some diagnostics tool, then this is all that you can do. A CP card with some diagnostics can tell you if a slave is alive. A dedicated Profibus diagnostics tool can tell you more detailed information, even down to exactly where in the cable or which connector is defective: http://www.softing.com/home/en/industrial-...cs/profibus.php

I just switched CP cards from a working slave to an offline slave, but it did not help. There was still a bus fault even after the change, and I used the same cable that came off of it. So it is not a plug, cable, or CP, could it be some thing in the C7-613.

Now you have exchanged the cable between the last good and the first bad slave, and you have swapped CPs. It doubt that it can be something in the C7, except for that if you have duplicate configurations. Try bypass the first bad slave, go from the last good slave to the slave immediately after the first bad slave.

I just tried it, and still got a bus fault. Tech support from Siemens dosen't seem to have any ideas either. I can't directly acces the C7 untill the cable for my notebook comes in tomorow morning, but that seems to be the last place I haven't checked yet. I am not sure what else to do at this point.

So you do not have an online cable at the moment ? How do you know that the error is the "actual/preset mismatch" ? OK, when you get the cable, then connect only the PC and one C7 station at a time. Just to see if it comes available as a DP slave with nothing else connected. If that goes OK, then try to connect one C7 at a time to the real DP network. Connect the first after the previous good slave in the network. Set the termination resistor to ON. Repeat with all C7 devices, one after the other. Hopefully, you will find the fault somewhere when you go through the above. Other information that could interesting: What is your hardware configuration exactly ? What does the Hardware Diagnostics in STEP7 report exactly ?

The hardware diagnostics in step 7 still states that there is an actual/preset mismatch and that the slaves are unavailable, but configured. I can go online with the master CPU, but until I get the cable in, I can not directly connect to the slaves in the field, but I will try your suggestions in the morning.

By the way, the "actual/preset mismatch" can actually mean several things, including that the station is not avaliable at all. It can also mean that there is a difference in the configuration and what can be found in terms of configured i/o addresses. I assumed from the first post that it was a case of missing stations. This because it was a working installation that started to act funny "by itself", and you get the additional error information "module configured but not available". If the problem is now that the station is reachable, but there is another hardware problem, then there must some more additional error information. I just want to put you to the attention that the problem may be different from what it was in the first post. That said, the information in the first post strongly indicate that there is a cabling problem, because "they all worked before" and it was 3 slaves physically linked one after the other. "they all worked before" tells us that it is not a configuration problem, because you would have told us if you had changed something - right ? And that it is 3 slaves at the same time, tells us that it is not a hardware error in the slaves themselves, because it is unlikely - but not impossible - that 3 slaves fails simultanously. And that there are other slaves that continues to run, tells us that there is not a hardware problem with the master. That leaves us with cable problems, or a new source of electrical noise near the last 3 slaves.

I finally got a PC/Adapter that works and was able to get online with the C7. The profibus address is correct and I opened the diagnostic buffer of the CP 342, and got a screen shot that is atached to this post. I think I see the main problem, but I am not sure how to fix it, thanks for the help again. Diagnostic_Buffer.pdf

It says that the number of configured i/o in the slave is 0/0. So somehow the configuration has been lost. If you have a recent backup of the complete project (all stations including the C7s in project), then you should be able to download the configuration to the C7s, and it should hopefully work again.