Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Van

2Qs: Adressing and Moving a BYTE of data

8 posts in this topic

Question 1: How do you address just one-half (i.e. one byte) of a word? For example, D100 addresses an entire WORD (i.e. 16 bits or two bytes). What if I wanted to access just ONE-HALF of that address? I know I can address it in BIT form (i.e. D100.0, D100.1, etc). Can you do it in byte form? Question 2: How does one move/copy/distribute just one BYTE from one address to another? The MOV command moves a WORD (i.e. two-bytes). I want to move just one-half of a word (i.e. one byte). Here is what I am trying to do: I want to create a contiguous memory space of data that will be composed of data from other non-contiguous memory locations. For example, lets say my contiguous memory space is D1000-D1007 (i.e. 8 words, 16 bytes). I want to assign the first byte at address D50 to the first byte at address D1000 and the second byte at address D59 to the second byte at address D1000: D1000 = (D50.0-7) + D59.(8-15) How does one accomplish this?

1. Depends on what you want to do. 2. u didn;t think outside the box... heres 3 ways of the top of my head... XFRB MOVD or a simple / (divide) can achieve what u want...

1. As SW states - it depends what you need to do. As a starter D100 ANDW #00FF leaves you with the lower byte D100 ANDW #FF00 leaves you with the upper 2. I'd use a FOR/END_FOR loop in ST and enclose something like this: Result:=(SomeWord AND #FF00); 'Access high byte Result:=Result OR (SomeOtherWord AND #00FF); 'Access lower byte and 'OR' into result If you need to swap a byte position, you can: Result:=(SomeWord AND #FF00)/256; 'Access high byte and shift 8 bits 'down' Pp

How do you "know"?? One of my very few gripes with the Omron PLC is that you CANNOT directly address D memory at the bit level. See link: - http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=13788&hl=

Forgive my ignorance. I"m not a seasoned PLC programmer. I was just using the schema as an example. However, that link was sure helpful, thank you.

.For the newer models such as CJ/CP1/CS1 use the following instructions.... SETA SETB RSTA RSTB OUTB TST TSTN

BTW, for those who find this thread later, I found that MOVD(083) worked perfectly for me. A digit is four bits therefore you would issue a MOVD command to move two digits (i.e. one byte). Edited by Van

I know this is an old thread, but I just found this and Van's last post helped me quickly do exactly what I was needing.  I needed to take the result of a math problem and stick it in both the top and bottom bytes of an Output word.  Figured I'd post the two ladder operations for future reference:

MOVD Math_Result #0220 Output

MOVD Math_Result #0020 Output