Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scofield

IP 266 Positioning Module in S5 system

9 posts in this topic

Dear all, i really need help with this issue. there is a positioning module IP 266 in the system and i have its program the .266 file , and i want to transfer it to the module , still i can't transfer it where when used the COM 266 it gives me the error message F53 which states that either the cable isn't connected or there is no power supply to the card although i did the following steps 1) i installed the module on the bus and supplied the bus with 24V 2) i connected the cable to it which i used to connect it with the PLC and PG ( now PG -->Module) 3) i starts the COM 266 program and press F2 to become online however it still gives me this error message. is any of the above steps wrong or there is something missing or does any one have a clue concerning this issue.

I've had this problem with an IP246, it's the same for IP266, and found this answer on Siemens website: ANSWER: The SIEMENS converter cable (V.24-TTY converter) with MLFB no. 6ES5 734-1BD20 requires 5.2V at the AS511 interface. This supply voltage is not provided by the IP 246. Remedy: Use the Köster Box or a similar adapter that provides an external power supply. The Köster Box can be ordered from the following company: KÖSTER Systemtechnik GmbH Hope this helps. Oeger Straße 65 D-58642 Iserlohn Tel.: +49 (0) 2374 9370-0 Fax.: +49 (0) 2374 9370-44 One word of warning I was using a pc not a pg. May be worth double checking with Siemens that it is the same for pg. Hope this helps. Edited by Hammy

PG's dont use the the 5v supply from the PG port on the PLC, they have the 20mA current loop interface integrated into the hardware, so if you use a PG with the correct cable you should not experience the problem. It is also possible to make an adapter cable which allows you to put 5v onto the interface cable, there is enough info in the 100U manual, requires two 15 way 'D' connectors and a bit of soldering.

Actually i am using a PC not a PG. does this make a difference

Yes, the problem is probably the problem Hammy described, I dont think IP266 module supplied 5v onto the 20mA port, so the cable isnt getting its supply voltage, because it's an active cable.

Do you mean that the Koester box will act the same as the 6ES5 734-1BD20 cable except that it has an external power supply ? i mean can i still use it to program some other PLCs like 150U ofr instance. ?

Yes it will act like the 6ES5 734-1BD20. It is an RS232 to 20mA convertor. But if you are stuck in the short term you could just make an adapter and put 5v on it to power the Siemens cable

How can i make such an adapter and how can i connect it to the cable ?

Get 1 off 15way D male, and one 15way D Female connectors Find the PG connection in the S5 manual. Identify the 0v and 5.2v pins Link the 0v pin through together with the remaining pins. Take a wire from the 0v and 5.2v pins on the connector which will be connected to the 15way connector on the 6ES5 734 ... cable and put 5v on it, this will power the cable Put the adapter between the PG port and the 15way connector on the 6ES5 734 cable. This works, as I have done it, but a standard health/wealth warning, make sure you know what you doing as you can damage the PLC or cable if you get wrong.