Glenikins

Viewing a PanelView 1200 Application with PanelView32

16 posts in this topic

Hi there, I have a PanelBuilder 1200 application file (.cfg) from a long-deceased PanelView system. I now need to view this application. I have a copy of PanelBuilder32 but this does not recognise the .cfg file. Can anyone advise on how I can go about converting the file. I don't want to have to buy additional software for this one-off task if I can help it. Thanks & Regards, Glen Chaplin

I presume that the goal of examining the old configuration is to reproduce some or all of it on a modern graphical interface platform. PanelView 1200 Classic terminals used a DOS-based "PDS" software (2711-ND1) and also had a 16-bit Windows version (2711-ND1W). The Windows version only supported the last major firmware revision, which was version 5. You can convert a PanelView 1200 Classic application almost entirely to PanelView 1400e format using the PanelBuilder 1400e (2711E-ND1) software. This was separate and distinct from the PanelBuilder 1200 and the PanelBuilder32 software, and only works with PanelView 1000e, 1200e, and 1400e terminals. From the PanelBuilder 1400e format, you can convert most of the application to FactoryTalk View ME format for use with PanelView Plus terminals. That's the Rockwell Automation migration path. I offer printouts and conversions to Classic PanelView owners in exchange for the opportunity to quote a conversion to PanelView Plus. If you're going to a different platform from a different vendor, you probably just need a project summary or printout. If you post your project file, I or another Forum member who is familiar with these terminals can probably dig out this ancient software and get you a printout.

Ken, Thanks for the response. The reason I need to view the application is indeed because we suddenly need to reproduce part of what it did on the SCADA system that replaced the PanelView some years ago. Amusingly, one of the facilities on the old system was deemed "redundant" at the time and therefore not reproduced on the new system. Five years later the user has asked "where is that facility, we can't find it..." I've attached the .cfg file; if you or anyone else could turn it into something that I could examine I would be grateful. Regards, Glen

Hmm, the attachment didn't work, trying again with the file extension changed to .txt... P3470V03.txt

I converted it to a PB1400e app as i havent got time to find my old laptop and load the 1200 stuff! Heres a report printout with screens and tags etc, it may be of help, the PV was/is a RIO unit Which bit do you need to reproduce ? P347OVO3.pdf Edited by 504bloke
1 person likes this

this is probably just "more of the same" that 504bloke posted - but this copy was done with version 5.01 of PanelBuilder 1200 that I keep handy ... not sure whether that makes a difference or not - but you're welcome to it ... good luck with your project ... P3470V03.pdf
1 person likes this

Thanks very much indeed 504bloke and Ron, both your files will help me out a lot. Glen

I Have The Same Issue 504Bloke would you be able to give me a pdf on my cfg file from PDS software? 364-01.txt Edited by Bigdaddy_1999

I couldn't see how to do an attachment here ... see if the link below will help ... oops! ... I can't even seem to do a simple Copy and Paste of a link any more ... try looking for a new thread I just started on the main Q&A board over at www.plcs.net ... I'll attach the PDF file there ... 138 pages ... Good luck with your project ...

Hello guys, I´m trying to install the PanelBuilder 1200 software in Windows 95 because I have an older PanelView 1200 Classic, Cat N° 2711-KC1 Serie B.

I need to do a backup of the application for migrate this later with the process that Ken describes.

But I don´t know very well how install the software and when I try to install, ask me for a direction path that I don´t know.

Can one of you give some support with this?

My e-mail is manum9315@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Sorry but I can´t post any image of the installing process because there are big for the capacity.

not sure what is the size limit you are dealing with (may be different for some users) but idea is the same:

1. consider using crop and resample to reduce image size. 

2. make sure to save it in some compressed format like JPG or PNG

then try again.

recently learned that the free command line software ffmpeg can drastically reduce size of jepg pictures.

The simple command is ffmpeg -i InputFile.jpg -q:v 10 OutpUtFile.jpg  

My results were 2mb input size became 667K output size with no appreciable loss in viewing details.

This is the image that I talked before.

Inst_2 (1).jpg

It's asking where you want to install the software. In general, the default path is sufficient.