Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff@Omron

RS Logix 5000

5 posts in this topic

I am having a strange issue. Windows XP Service Pack 3. RS Logix version 15, RS Linx Classic. RS Linx RSWho via Ethernet IP works fine and finds the Control Logix processor and all cards on Rack. RSWho in Logix fails (Long Time Out Time!!) with a "Failed to find Project". I have the same versions running on a Windows Server 2003 Machine with no Problems. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

So, RSLinx can find the PLC processor, but RSLogix times out? My understanding is that RSLogix uses RSLinx for its communication, with RSLinx being the communication layer and RSLogix being the logic development layer. Thusly, the problem is probably with RSLogix not doing exactly what you want it to. Try, instead of RSWho-ing in RSLogix to drill down through the communication options to go directly to the processor. One thing that happens is that RSLogix remembers the last communication path the last time you went online. I have run into a similar problem. When you are DONE with RSLogix, go into RSWho and Clear Project Path. RSLogix remembers the last path when you went online last time, and if your processors are on vastly different networks or connections, when you try to RSWho the software wants to use the last pathway to connect.

Thanks for the information. This is a brand new install of RS Logix and RS Linx. There is no previous path and I can find no way to enter one into Logix. RSWho appears to be the only way to enter a path. I have the same issues with DF1 connection. I am going to try on a fresh install computer of XP no other programs and see if I get the same results. Thanks,

Maybe the last project path is not the same as the offline PLC program. If this is the case, did you try to connect via this way: In RS Logix, click on Communication, then Who Active. Does the Processor still appear in this list? It should be a mini RS Linx window. If it does, drill down to the processor, the Online button should go active. Click this. You should be able to go online. If you do, be sure to hit save, this will update the project communication target information in RS Logix offline program. Normally the problem is the other way around, Rs Linx will not communicate. Generally if RS Logix won't I think I see most people assume the saved offline copy has the correct target path, and it generally doesn't. EDIT: Crap...kaiser beat me....LOL...

I had some ethernet type problems a while back. I could see Panl View + but not the CLX. What I found was that my IP address on my laptop was not compatable with the IP's I assigned to the ENBT modules. My new format is to keep all of the field devices (EBNT's) above 192.168.10.20 All of our controls engineers and field service personnel have .0 through .20 in the IP addresses. After we set them up and trained the guys how to adjust their IP from their laptops we could work the issue. Recently I found you can do an advanced setup with the check box for find IP as well as setting up the "industrial" IP as a secondary. It only works sometimes for me. If anyone has more knowledge in that arena I'd be happy to find the best way to setup the laptops.