Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roscho

change pos. of cards

3 posts in this topic

Hello Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I have an S5 with a 928b and a cp581(486 cpu),cp581 is running win95 with coros ls-b oper. interface program, but when we power up and after win 95 loads coros freezes at main logo,we have reloaded backup program of coros, but did not work. I was told that it mite be the backplane of the rack, so could i move the cards to another slot or will there be an address problem. thanks for taking the time to read this. russ

I would suggest that you could power down the unit and take spare cards of the same type and swap them one at a time and power backup. If this is the approach you wish to take. The program is mapped to specific hardware addresses. If you swap the wrong type of module into a slot, the program will fault on power up. I am not familiar with the operator interface but assuming it is like most on the market, it should be connected to the PLC by a interface cable. If the operator interface is locking up on power up, I would doubt that is a plc related issue, probably a problem with it.

Assuming it is a standard 135U rack, then CP581 will communicate with the CPU by page frame address memory (standard for S5 CP cards). Check with a 135U manual to see which slots the CP581 can be fitted in, and then move it. Addresses are set on the card (Not sure if it's set by jumpers or in the program on this module.). However I dont think backplane will be the problem, (Never say never, but unlikely), as the 135U backplane is passive. Sounds to me like a problem with the CP581, possibly a bad sector has developed on the harddisk. (Dont know if you are familiar with CP581, but its a PC on an S5 card with some additional hardware integrated into the design to communicate with the CPU over the backplane.) first step would be to try and recover everthing off the HD, could be quite interesting as this is **OLD** hardware, I think the only removable storage medium you have as standard is a 1.44Mb floppy. If you can find a parrallel port Iomega 'floptical' these have dos drivers, which will work with this hardware, thats what I used some years ago when confronted with a similar situation. They give you 100Mb which makes the back up easier. Make sure you have a bootable floppy then reformat the harddisk, or better still replace it The disk will be an old IDE device, so this may be easier said then done. Then reload everything from scratch. These instructions come with a health/wealth warning! Unless you are familiar with DOS it will be quite a steep learning curve, and may end in tears!. Looking at your description of the fault I would say that is a better than evens chance that the problem is the CP581, but as with all faultfinding never rule anything out until you have proved that its not the cause of the problem. Finally I dont think Siemens support Coros LSB now, I last came across it in 1998/9 and they were struggling then, which was why I got involved as a freelance, as with a lot of (Siemens) HMI products over the years it had quite a short 'shelf life'. If as I remember LSB uses a hardware dongle remove this before trying to use an Iomega drive So thats my best guess. Good luck, cos I reckon youll need it! If youd like to pay my and the wifes air fare I'd be more than happy to try and sort it for you Mike Edited by Mike Dyble