Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stupidav

MSG 505 to 505 Ethernet

7 posts in this topic

I have found my stupid pills again, where am I going wrong? On the First PLC I have: These are both tied to a the same 3Com Switch On the Second PLC I have: I can see the Lights flickering on the switch from both PLCs but PLC #2 is not showing any of the data in the N7:50 - N7:70 I keep getting: on the setup screen "0xD7 The connection was broken." Yet when I copy out the the error I "0xD8 A reply was not received before the user-specified time out." I have changed the Time out and it automatically goes back to 23, don't know why.

This is probably set as the default, and I've found it tough to change/override. I'm thinking Local is DH-485 and that you should try Remote since it appears you are using Ethernet comms. Bill

You only need one message, not two. I recommend you get rid of the write and keep the read. Can you post your ladder as well? Local is correct, you are on the same sub-net. It's been awhile since I set up a 5/05, but I believe the newer models use ethernet I/P, have you tried enabling multi-hop? Somewhere in my fog of a brain, I remember that this forces the plc to use the newer protocol. Would be worth a shot.

Two controllers on the same IP subnet is definitely a Local message. All SLC-5/05 controllers support both the classic CSPv4 and the "Multihop" CIP communication protocols on Ethernet. Try changing the third octet of the destination IP address to 80 instead of 080. In many IP-protocol devices, a leading zero in any octet is shorthand for "the following digits are octal", and of course 8 has no place in Octal numbering, where the only digits are 0 through 7.

I didn't get a chance to change the MultiHop or 80 instead 080. I did try just a Read on one PLC and nothing on the other, I also tried just a Write on one PLC (did it individually on both PLCs). One of the things that sticks out in my mind is the Error here is a screen shot of the comms Error According to the Help file "d8" is "A reply was not received before the user-specified time out." I get the exact same error on both processors regaurdless of wheather it is read or write. Both Processors are around 10 years old. I upgraded the firmware a couple of years ago. Just incase here is the stats for Chan1, from time to time I saw the MSG Reply Pending toggle,

Assuming it's a communication error, can you ping both processors? Second, are you firing the MSG block off a timer or something to keep it going since you only get a one shot otherwise (MSG block is executed once per false-to-true transition)? Third, are you waiting for the previous MSG to finish before starting another one? Fourth, what are your CIP or other settings on RS-Linx? Are you overloading the available connections with HMI traffic?

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to this. I found the problem as is the case so many times Ken was on the right track. To answer the questions, yes I could not only ping both devices, but I could also go online with both units with out any problems. There is no HMI hooked up via Ethernet. There is only one MSG instruction per processor, both are reading from the other and both are on timers. Eventually I will change it to As it turns out the addresssing was the issue. I had to change it from 192.168.080.131 to 192.168.80.131. I am not sure why I didn't get a different error, like invalid address or something. I guess I might never know.