Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shrek

SLC 100

20 posts in this topic

I have an SLC 100 and I would like to know what computer software can be used with i dont mind using older operating systems if it required I have plenty of older computers. Thanks

The SLC 100 is a very old PLC platform. It requires either a hand held programmer or a DOS based progam called PCIS and a communication adaptor. PCIS is available for free and I think there are some people selling communication adaptors, including an after market model, on E-bay. If you search the forum for PCIS and SLC 100 you can find links to get the software and manuals. Edit: Looking at the other thread I'm not sure I did you any favors in telling you that - but I'll leave it at that. You can get a 10 point micrologix for about 90 bucks and the RSLogx 500 software for the 10 point ML is free, you'll still need a communication cable which you can buy or make, but at least an adaptor is not required. I'm not sure what a communication adaptor for the SLC100 will run you, but since this is for education then I submit that spending money on the SLC 100 is a waste - invest it, even if its a little more, in a relevant education instead. Just a thought, selling that SLC100 and Redi panel on Ebay might cover half the cost of a 10 point ML. Factor in the difference you you then not having to buy a communicaiton adaptor and your net outlay might just be less. Edited by Alaric

can the dos base program be run in the dos window of 2000 pro and i have i pinout for the wire connections thanks

Greetings Shrek ... it's going to take more than just "pinouts" ... you're also going to need a converter/adapter thing with some electronics in it ... the official part number is 1745-PCC ... there are some substitutes available - if you want to search around for them ... just a guess ... if the school gave you the SLC-100 because they don't use it any more - maybe they also have the adapter for it lying around (unused) in the storeroom ... I'd ask if I were you ... with any luck, they’ll also have copy of the software back there too ... BIG TIP: if you’re going to try to just solder wires and connectors together so that you can plug the SLC-100 into a computer’s serial port - PLEASE post your intentions BEFORE you start plugging things in ... give us a chance to talk you out of that ...

that sounds reasonable to forwarn i can live with that but i wont do any soldering to the slc unless it has been proven to work or it breaks other then that i will fabricate makeshift connects to avoid damaging my toys. I would of had the hend held programer but my shop teacher didnt know which hand helds were not in the system because if he lets me borrow one that the school has registered in the system they will end up inventorying and all hell will break loose when they dont find it so he will give me one next year when he finds out which ones the school doesnt own and yes they are in the back room never to be used for instructional purposes in our classroom again i know this info cause i tried to get the hand held programer but like i said it will have to wait till school starts here is what i have found for making a connector is it feasable?? Allen Bradley connector Black Box Corp. connection pin 2 RXD- --------------- TXD+ pin 1 RXD+ --------------- TXD- pin 3 TXD- --------------- RXD+ pin 8 TXD+ --------------- RXD- pin 7 GROUND --------------- GROUND The connections are transposed on the Black Box Corp. end. The Txd+ goes to the Rxd- on the A-B Side. The Txd- goes to the Rxd+ on the A-B side. The Rxd- goes to the Txd+ on the A-B side. The Rxd+ goes to the Txd- on the A-B side.

no ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...td211_-en-p.pdf This A/B document has a pretty good description of the device and why you can't jsut make your own cable.

There are a couple of e-bay stores offering an aftermarket converter. If you take a look at them you will see that it is more than just a cable. The communication adaptor requres some electronics - thats what is stuffed into the box on the cable

ok i can under stand that.they wouldnt put an emty box on the cable now would they?

Here's some pics of stuff you need. I have everything in my shop. Our plant still has 4 of these little jewels running some machinery. I've been given a couple to take home and I use them to run some christmas and halloween lights. I've used Windows 95,98,and now Vista (through a DOS window) to run the PCIS software. You must have the 1745-PCC hooked up to COM 1. I use a Keyspan usb to serial and a 9200 baud rate. Edited by splicer480

my robotics instructor will give me that hand held device next year when school starts I have a dell inspiron 1501 laptop running vista it only has usb but i have a serial to usb converter that i use to program my basic stamp it will work i will just need to know how to access the dos window in vista thank you

Sorry, the USB converter will not work. USB-RS232 converters do not support the timing signals required for the converter devices to work. If it were straight through RS-232 then the USB converter would work, but its not.

what it is, is just an in line device so i can hook my serial devices to the usb port

RS232/RS422 adapter I know that I showed this to you but you need to read it this time :) http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37641 It has the link for the software, manual and a dosbox that will run under just about any OS and run your software on your PC... If you need a cable then see here http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm But you will need a real serial port as Alaric has stated

thank you i am downloading the software now

how do i install the slc software it is giving me a hard time to go ????

Did you get it? I looked at it and it is a different version then the one I have... mine does not have to be installed, it has an exe. that I just run and the program takes off. If you did not get it, send me an email and you can try the one I have... info@plctrainer.net

My keyspan usb to serial (DB-9) converter works just fine with windows Vista and the 4 SLC 100's I have at the plant. I had to turn the baud rate WAY down to 9600 or no go. I don't like to use the 1745-PCC box because you can only see 1 command at a time. The only trouble I've had with the usb to serial converter was with the old 1747-PIC box, SLC 500. (when most "newer" laptos no longer had true serial ports) I had to go with the 1747-UIC converter to remedy that. Just my 2 cents.. Edited by splicer480

i agrre with the new laptop thing i have a five month old laptop not a single serial port but four usb ports

ok school has started and i have gotten the hand held programmer it is now mine and i have one expansion unit i took them home hooked em up and even though i am borrowing the user manual it still took me two days to figure out how to program it now i have it somewhat figured out i have linked it to my parallax basic stamp with some solid state relays due to the obvios voltage difference and i am ging to have the programing link before bed tonight. i even took it all a step frother and i built a work cell out of it all any ideas on what to do with it now that i have it all or any tips for using the slc 100??? thanks