Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shrek

Redipanel to control slc 100

13 posts in this topic

I have an AB RediPANEL and an AB slc 100 and i would like to know how to control the slc 100 with the RediPANEL. the reason for the akward request is that i dont have the money to spend on new stuff and i got mine for free thanks

Do you have the required programming software and cables? You can't do anything without them. Otherwise what you have is two paper weights.

what i have is the units i was hoping to use the redipanel to control the scl 100 the cables i can make the software can be downloaded i think.

Greetings Shrek ... and welcome to the forum ... sorry - but a RediPanel doesn't actually "control" the SLC/PLC ... think of the RediPanel as just a handy "box of buttons and lights" and you'll be pretty close to the "big picture" idea ... worse news - the SLC-100 is very old (no offense - I'm very old myself) ... what you really need to do is check into a MicroLogix 1000 processor for educational purposes ... if you get a "starter" 10-point system, the software is a free download ... yes, I know that you're short on funds - but SOMEHOW you need to get past that SLC-100 ... almost EVERYTHING that you learn on that old beast will have to be re-learned when you outgrow it ... if you don't mind my asking, where in the United States are you located? ...

If that is the case then what CAN I do with the redipanel????? pennsylvania plus i dont have the hand held controller for the slc 100 i wont be able to get that until school starts after summer. what really got me started on the plc fast track is th Parallax Basic Stamp 2 however disgusting it may sound then i got my grubby little hand on some neat old style toys Edited by Shrek

that depends on WHAT MODEL of RediPanel you have ... post the catalog number (example: 2705-K11C1) ... most of them connect to a PLC/SLC through a "Remote I/O" cable connection ... the SLC-100 doesn't support that ... neither does the MicroLogix1000 for that matter ... some RediPanels can be "programmed" with just an old AT or XT-style computer keyboard ... but ... without a suitable PLC system to plug it into, you won't be able to actually "do" anything with the RediPanel ... so ... are you going to school for PLC training? ... if so, here's a suggestion ... make friends with the instructor (better yet the lab technician) and get the school to buy one of the MicroLogix1000 starter sets ... then YOU spend every waking moment of the night and day learning how to work with that thing ... people on the forum will be glad to help ... then type up some student exercises - and teach the instructor how to teach the class ... (that's basically how I got started in this business) ... then the school buys enough units to equip the lab ... win ... win ... win ... anyway ... good luck with all of your future endeavors ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Or check this out. (see link below) http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html

my class actually has slc 500 and newer i dont know what all they have yet because i did not get to them yet that is on my task list for next year and the slc 100 is just something from the back room that they dont use anymore there is only one teacher and i am friends with him and that is how i got the slc 100 in the first place. as for the model number for the redipanel i will post that when i get home I would like to upgrade just to let you know but that wont happen until a newer plc is thrown my way or i can afford one plus i need to turn 18 before i can use ebay and no i will not bug my parents to pay for it even if i give them cash to much hassle in three months i turn 18 so i will look to upgrade then but for now i have what i have Edited by Shrek

the redipanel # is 2705-k11c1

Hey Shrek, Take a look at this http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37641 , ... but as my friends have already told you the 100's and the 150's are old news (at best), the cables that I do sell for them are to people just wanting to upload the CPU so they can convert the program to a newer PLC Good luck :) PS. nice to see someone taking the bull by the horns at your age.... keep it up as you will go far, if you need help with the eBay and 18 thing let me know... I got people ;) Mark

thanks for the offer with the ebay thing mark but i have an ebay and a paypal account all i need to do is put a bank account to paypal and i will be good to go. plus i know how to work ebay.thanks any way. plus I take the bull by the horns cause i am stubburn and determined to make things work no matter how many times i have to take things apart and replace blown circuits lol

Be sure to check this out!!! I highly recommend it. Not sure if he's still developing it but what he has is very good. I recommend it for anybody trying to learn PLCs. http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html

next year at vo-tech i will learn the rs logix programs and all of there interworkings