Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

PanelView programming via CLX bridge, possible?

10 posts in this topic

I have a few PanelViews setup on a single DH+ network, 4 SLC 5/04's, 3 PanelViews, 1 KF2, and 1 Clx chassis. The control logic chassis was added last year as an ethernet/DH+ bridge, so that we could tie everything to an OSI-PI historian. I can see the Panelviews in RsLinx, no problems, I can connect and program the 5/04's from my office now. However, I recently wanted to make a minor change to one of the PanelViews, and I can browse to the Panelview, and the download starts, but then faults out with a fail to respond message. Is what I'm trying to do possible? Can you remotely program DH+ PanelViews via a CLX bridge? Am I missing a setting somewhere? thanks, ken

Can not do. I just recently tried Panelview remote pass thru option via RIO to PLC5. My PC connects to the PLC5 via CLX ethernet bridge to DH+. Called Rockwell and they said it will not work. Now I have to run a serial cable. Off hand, does anyone happen to know the pin outs? Edited by newpageboba

I have done it on panelview + 600 through the serial port on front of a contrologix L61 and could download through it on the first initial try but afterwords, on the next revision I could not download unless I defaulted the panelview and could then see it again on rslinx. Of course when I talked with customer support they said this was not possible but go figure. I would think that if you see it on rslinx then you can download to it again. I think you can do this if you default the panelview without a program on it. Another way that might work is look at the pass thru feature on the panelview. I thought this worked on remote downloads but never tried it.

Guess it's not possible, I also thought if RsLinx could see it, I could program it.

PanelView Standard download via a 1756-DHRIO is a sketchy proposition, as it requires participation from PanelBuilder32, the PanelView terminal, the 1756-DHRIO module, and RSLinx Classic. Some combinations do work, some don't. If you gather up the revisions of everything you're using, RA Tech Support might be able to tell you which element needs to be changed to get this working correctly.

Thanks Ken, but it's not worth the hassle. I will just have to get off my lazy butt and walk out and do it. BTW, I thought you were located on the West Coast, but I saw this ad the other day:

Wow Ken, your getting ambitious. You got my vote...well, if I lived in SC.

Here in 2012, there is an even more frustrating wrinkle to this. I can upload from the PanelView, but not download. I know it has something to do with setting up routing tables in the DHRIO, but at that point it's still probably just easier to walk to the PanelView and use a serial cable. *sigh* Ain't technology great?

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this topic, but Rockwell has a very excellent document dealing with this subject. It can be found in their Knowledgebase: 19393 - PanelBuilder32: Gateway Passthrough Downloads are now enabled (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19393). At this time this tech note was last updated 7/16/2012, so apparently people are still interested in this. There is a Word doc attached to the article that has screen shots and excellent explanations of what you need and even WHY it doesn't work (when it doesn't work). Hey. I see I can attach files, so I will do so. Gateway_Download_Ethernet_to_DH+_for_ControlLogix_Rev2.doc
2 people like this

On 12/19/2012 at 9:43 AM, cbanzet said:

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this topic, but Rockwell has a very excellent document dealing with this subject. It can be found in their Knowledgebase: 19393 - PanelBuilder32: Gateway Passthrough Downloads are now enabled (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19393). At this time this tech note was last updated 7/16/2012, so apparently people are still interested in this. There is a Word doc attached to the article that has screen shots and excellent explanations of what you need and even WHY it doesn't work (when it doesn't work). Hey. I see I can attach files, so I will do so. Gateway_Download_Ethernet_to_DH+_for_ControlLogix_Rev2.doc

Oh I’m still interested, thanks, this is killer info!