Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottmurphy

.cdm files

18 posts in this topic

Do any of you people use the cdm files for building scada databases? We have a site, there are about 10 PLC's, current total is app. 13000 points. The latest PLC to be added has about 3200 points to be added. During the cumbersome process of creating this file the merge seems successful. When the application is closed, and opened again after more time, then not only are the new points gone. , all of the existing points are gone also. I did some experimenting, took a few hours, and it seems that the limit for this type of file is 15360 points. If the file size was 13360, then I could add 199 points successfully, if I tried adding 201 points, then the success was in timbuktu! I am not convinced that this is the best way to achieve what we are trying to do here, but the chap that has been doing most of the scada work on this site has been doing so for quite some time, and has had a few issues over the last couple of years. Local support have not been much help on this one.

Hi Scott, When the possibility of importing points from *.cdm files was introduced somewhere in the early days of CXS (perhaps it was still Sysmac SCS) I have played around with it a bit but encountered the very same problem as above. Points gone, project errors on opening, sometimes for all points the PLC device or address entry was set to empty which meant reopening every point and appointing the correct setting etc... I didn't come close to 13000 points then ( ) but it also gave problems. I then just stopped using this function although Omron reps kept saying it had improved. I just use Excel as intermediate between CXP and CXS, which gives me the option to do some renaming etc. In fact I never make use of the cdm file.

I have the same problem here... Omron has confirmed it to be a bug/problem in CXP I recomend you to use Excel!

I need to spend some time with the chap to see how he does it, this could be one of the issues. I do think that he uses excel, but maybe not in the best way, well obviously due to the issues that we all have experienced!! Can you give me anymore details as to what they admitted the problems to be? That way, when I report back tomorrow, I can have some facts for him, not just, it doesn't work, there are known bugs, when he has been suspecting that all along. Maybe anonymous knows, or will at least be able to find out. Edited by scottmurphy

I have used excel to generate over 20 000 tags, and have pasted them into cx-server without any problems. The problem Omron confirmed is the linking between CX-Programmer and CX-Server, when the symbol-count reaches a level (around 13 000 I think), CXP is not able to produce the linked .cdm file anymore

This sounds suspiciously like what we have found, I reckon my value if 15360 is as much as I could get without it crashing into oblivion! Even 1 point over and it was sayonara points.

I copy-paste from Excel to CX-Server

Ok, maybe I'm missing the obvious here. But under my CX-Server menu, I only have the following: 1. DDE Manager 2. Driver Management Tool 3. Import/Export Tool 4. Performance Monitor You use one of these? When I use the DDE manager, it opens the same file, and takes just as long!! I am thinking that you use the Import/Export Tool. I don't think I have it setup correctly.. I will do some further study into these applications.

Actually I'm using CX OPC Server, and I'm copying from excel, and pasting directly into the .CDM (CX-Server) point list window

Starting to make more sense, what scada platform are you using?

Are you able to post a screen shot of an example, so that I can see exactly?

Thanks Fredrix, Thats what I thought you were doing, and was the same way that I have been doing it. The problem arises, when the .cdm file is closed, and then opened again. If the no of points in this file exceeds 15360, then when the file is re-opened, all the points are gone. What is the number of points in your application?

Can you arrange them into arrays? I have tried with over 40 000 variables (don't remember how many points, I used arrays of different sizes) I also think we managed to get it to work with over 16 000 points

Hmm, interesting, would be interested to find out if it was over 16k, or the amount that I mentioned?? Anyway, it seems that the chap has sourced another driver, kepware I think, so this will do away with the need for the flamin cdm files!! Thanks for your help.

Haha, Perhaps you could get the .cdm files and throw them in the concrete... nah just kidding, but using this method is an absolute pain. I remember when I first went to use it a couple of years back, and soon was over it!! Either way, would be good to have some official answers from 'those in the know'!! Edited by scottmurphy